Getting on and Off the Bike When Loaded (The Bike not Me)

When I have my bike loaded for a trip, the gear on the back makes it difficult to throw my right leg over the seat.  On my KLR this is no problem as it has a very upright sidestand and you can stand on the left peg with your left foot and this gives you lots of clearance to throw right leg over everything without giving yourself a hernia. I just got back today from a 3500 km trip to New Brunswick via the New England States and had no problems standing on the left peg to get on/off the bike. The FJ has much more lean to it so I was wondering if it is Ok to do the same without doing damage or is there another method? I am 6' 1" and weigh 195 and with gear on probably about 115.

When I have my bike loaded for a trip, the gear on the back makes it difficult to throw my right leg over the seat.  On my KLR this is no problem as it has a very upright sidestand and you can stand on the left peg with your left foot and this gives you lots of clearance to throw right leg over everything without giving yourself a hernia. I just got back today from a 3500 km trip to New Brunswick via the New England States and had no problems standing on the left peg to get on/off the bike. The FJ has much more lean to it so I was wondering if it is Ok to do the same without doing damage or is there another method? I am 6' 1" and weigh 195 and with gear on probably about 115.
I was cautious at first when mounting the FJ this way (step on left peg first, then over), but I have now done it hundreds of times without incident. It's how I normally get on to avoid kicking my side cases. Just be mindful of the slope of the ground and dont bounce around on it while it's on the side stand and it should be fine.

Also, when on the center stand it is very stable, so that's an option too.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
When loaded down I get off using the peg with the bike on the side stand then put it on the center stand and use either peg to get back on.

Let’s go Brandon

I am 6' 1" and weigh 195 and with gear on probably about 115.
Can you post a link to your gravity defying gear please. I could do with losing a few pounds myself. 8-)  
Great question though. I've always just struggled and hadn't considered the side stand to be robust enough. I'm going to try it now (cautiously).

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I am 6' 1" and weigh 195 and with gear on probably about 115.
Can you post a link to your gravity defying gear please. I could do with losing a few pounds myself. 8-)  
Great question though. I've always just struggled and hadn't considered the side stand to be robust enough. I'm going to try it now (cautiously).
Please report the experience, BBB.   I'm with you in always having been rather cautious about this method, but then I've seen plenty of riders using it to climb aboard.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Have you tried stepping onto the right peg and throwing a leg over? My 6'5" 270lbs friend does that on his Tiger 800 without issue. I've never tried it as it feels wrong.

'15 FJ09

I'm only 5'6" tall and around 210lb in riding gear.... I always get on my FJ using the left foot peg as a step while the bike is on the side stand. I do this regardless of whether the bike is loaded with gear or not.... mounted my Super Tenere this way as well... no issues with the side stands on either bike.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

I'm closer to 300 lbs not in gear (I could use some of that gravity defying gear).   I was cautious at first about stepping on the left peg while on the side stand to get on, at first.  A buddy of mine said that the side stands are robust and it should be fine.

Now I do it all the time, even when I don't have gear loaded on the bike.  It is just easier. 

Only problem I've had is when I've walked through wet grass before trying to get on and I've slipped off the peg while getting on (a couple times) thankfully no injury.

Thanx for the suggestions. I think I will do the center stand method or if on sidestand, get on from the right. I'm just used to my KLR being so upright on the side stand that the FJ feels much more leaned over.

• Supporting Member
Have you tried stepping onto the right peg and throwing a leg over? My 6'5" 270lbs friend does that on his Tiger 800 without issue. I've never tried it as it feels wrong.
Does that seriously work?  I've never tried, but it just sounds like a recipe for ending up trapped underneath a motorcycle that fell over to the opposite side of the side stand...    

Does that seriously work?  I've never tried, but it just sounds like a recipe for ending up trapped underneath a motorcycle that fell over to the opposite side of the side stand...  
It does sound totally counter-intuitive, doesn't it!   I've being trying it out in what remains of my mind, and end up all fingers and thumbs, if you know what I mean... ::)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

It works. I cringe every time he does it. He does lean into the bike though.

'15 FJ09

Archived