Differences 2016 - 2017 models.

Apologies up front if this topic has previously been done to death.   Did a 'search' but didn't find a definitive thread on the subject.

As I mentioned in my 'introduction' upon joining the forum Yamaha Australia have not told the dealers when or even if the 2017 model will ever come to Australia (I assume they have a warehouse full of 2016 models).  The 2016 models is currently what's being sold for the foreseeable future.

So would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me better understand the differences between the 2016 and 2017 models, and the benefits/negatives of those changes.   So far I've been able to figure ......

Slipper clutch
2 mode traction control??
Upgraded suspension??

So interested in what else, and even the value or otherwise of the above.

Thanks in Advance.

I know slipper assist clutch is the main benefit of 2017. Fault codes can only be viewed and cleared by a dealer is the big negative of the 2017 that I've heard. I've not done enough research myself to know much more than that though.

AFAIK no aftermarket CruiseControl is available for the 2017? (I need to do research) these 2017 bikes are new to the majority of us forum members, we are learning as we see 2017 owners trickle in...

MCCruise outta Australia is still selling whats left of the available CruiseControl units since the 2018 bikes will have CruiseControl according to rumors...

I also highly doubt that we will be able to easily retrofit 2018 factory CruiseControl into 2016 or older bikes without some major cost such as 2018+ dash unit, ECU from 2018+, wore harness? etc...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Copy pasta from yamaha website under "New for 2017":

"New Assist and Slipper Clutch
Yamaha’s assist and slipper clutch gives the rider smoother, more confident downshifts when entering corners aggressively, as well as a lighter pull effort at the lever in day-to-day riding, all while easily handling the torque of the FJ-09’s high-output motor.
New Adjustable Traction Control System
An updated Traction Control System (TCS) assists the rider in managing traction on various road conditions by quickly modulating throttle opening, ignition timing and fuel volume. The FJ-09’s TCS now includes two modes to suit various road conditions, and can also be disabled by the rider if they so choose."

I have a 2017, I passed up a cheaper 2016 to go for mainly the slipper/assist clutch (still haven't even used anything but tcs mode 1) and it seems to have paid off. Downshifts are buttery smooth and the clutch is incredibly light and you get almost zero left hand fatigue in city riding. Also I really dug the electric white.

And AFAIK the suspension is identical across all 3 model years.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

AFAIK no aftermarket CruiseControl is available for the 2017...
Tony had specifically asked me to confirm the model year of my machine, concerned about ECU tweaks to the 2017 model year (wanted to make sure the thing worked for me safely). My guess is that they've not done any testing on the 2017 ECU, and given the earlier notes about stopping production etc., it's not looking good for the 2017 in the CC department.
Tony is fantastic, just literally got his reply to my email like 10mins ago about a replacement hand switch...top notch customer care... Im gonna try to ask him monday since its late friday night in aussie land currently about the 2017 bikes and maybe see if he will say how many units are left ?...  
Some FJ-09s are gonna feel left out ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Are there any major differences between the 2015 and 2016 models at all?
Had both.   As I understand it the only difference (other than paintwork) is the location of the oil-drain (sump) bolt/ plug on the later model, as on earlier ones it was deemed too exposed and liable to damage.   2016s have a horizontal front-facing bolt/ plug.   See my pic - it's very easily checked. 
P1030967.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
There were no suspension changes then? I had heard there was some revisions, but perhaps that was specific to the FZ-09 only.
On the Yamaha website there is nothing listed concerning suspension for the '17 FJ, however, the FZ lists a new front fork under the "New for 2017" section. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived