FJ09, Versys 1K, Triumph XC

Ok, better search revealed some comparison articles. still curious about any new comparisons. As always, seems to be what you intend to do with it. I just felt at seeing it it just looned better buolt than FJ. I couldn't ride it because it was pouring. Can't find a Versys locallt to ride either.

Heck, maybe i will try the Super Tenere...

Proof your posts before hitting send please. ? I would absolutely try as many as I can before deciding. Of the short list you mentioned, the FJ is the sportbike, the Kawi is the bigger, more suitable for two people touring bike, the Triumph is the only one of the group even remotely suitable for off-road, and it has a much milder, smoother engine. Then you dropped in the S10, which is a longer distance touring bike which can do a little nonpaved stuff if necessary. In my experience anyhow..

Guest kernowjim
Crap! Was considering Fj vs Versys. Made the mistake of looking at the Triumph XC. The quality and workmanship of that bike just stand out. Has anyone ride one? Its also about $3000 more, but just curious....
in a nutshell - Triumph is smoother, heavier, doesn't handle as well as the FJ and is much less powerful and much more expensive and less reliable than the FJ.  Versys 1000 again it's smoother but buzzy at times, handles OK, heavier, more expensive, more comfortable.  The FJ is more sports bike than those two.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I've done a lot of two up on the FJ and would agree the Versys would probably be more comfortable for long distance, but I feel the FJ does a fairly admirable job without going to a much bigger bike ie Versys, FJR etc. I've rode the Tiger and if you have aspirations of any off road it is no doubt a better platform, but I found the engine, while smoother much more boring compared to the power of the FJ. It certainly don't turn as easily as the Yamaha either. I have the same feelings about the Super Tenere, boring engine performance. Most important is to figure out your intended purpose. I like the lighter weight, flickability and outright playfulness of the engine in the FJ myself.

I like the lighter weight, flickability and outright playfulness of the engine in the FJ myself.
+100 and very well put.   This gem of an engine more than makes up for the flaws in the FJ/ MT-09, IMHO 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The Tiger doesn't have nearly as much plastic on it as the FJ, which contributes to its more upmarket look. However, based on the time I spent perusing Tiger owner forums when going through the same deliberations myself, I wouldn't assume it's actually built better.

FJ is the sportiest bike in the entire segment until you get to BMW S1000XR and KTM 1290 GT. If you want something primarily for solo riding, street only, and you prioritize sportiness (while still having something that's decent for touring) - the FJ is pretty much your choice without spending over $15K.

If comfort or mild off-roading are important, then you may want to consider Versys, Vstrom, Tiger, or BMW F800GS.

Guest kernowjim
The Tiger 800 is one of the increasing number of Triumphs made entirely in Thailand, yet they still market the 'British' thing.  Yes it might be designed in the UK but they are charging a premium for an Asian made product.  At least the FJ is manufactured in Yamaha's country of origin.

The Tiger 800 is one of the increasing number of Triumphs made entirely in Thailand, yet they still market the 'British' thing.  
It's easy to tell if a Triumph is in fact made in Thailand - it comes out of the box with a distinct aroma of lemongrass...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Copy of what I wrote on ADVRider in a topic with the same question...

I had the Versys 1000 in my crosshairs when I was shopping earlier this summer.

A couple things made me go FJ instead of Versys.
-Weight, the FJ feels alot lighter on it's feet than then Versys.
-Fun, it just felt more alive when I needed it to(Oh, a nice corner, let's accelerate a bit and lean in).
-PRICE! In Canada, I found a left-over 2016 FJ-09 for 9500+Tx... A new 2017 Versys 1000 was 14500$.

I'll give a few things to the Versys, it was a little more comfortable, suspension seemed to be a little better, OEM luggage looks very spiffy, better wind protection for those looooong hauls. I will honestly give the Versys 1000 a serious look again when I shop for a new bike in 2-3 years, maybe i'll want more comfort and a little less fun as I get older... We'll see.

But ultimately, for now, the FJ-09 was 5k less than a Versys 1000... and that buy alot of gas, farkles, tires and beer.

For the record... my wife just picked up a 2017 Versys 650 LT SE, I think it's the best road only mid sized sport touring(100% road) out there currently after doing alot of cross shopping in the last few weeks for her.

I bought a new Tiger 800 XRX in 2015 and traded this bike in for an FJ early this year. Pity, but I just did not like the Tiger.  The things I disliked are listed below (some of this maybe personal preference - I am sure that many riders love their Tiger):- 1th gear is rather high and 6th gear rather low - so need to slip the clutch in hair-pins and high RPM at highway speeds.- the engine sounds like a washing machine in centrifuge mode; and my specific bike sounded as if the cam chain had to much slack - this was however not the problem and according to Triumph this noise was within specs. I found it very irritating though.- the handlebars are rather sporty, so quite far away from the rider - I didn't like the stretch.- hard to get the bike on the center stand.- the passenger peg hangers, sub frame and frame are all welded together. If the bike falls over, a hanger may bend, which is a write-off.- the engine is mounted high in the frame - high center of gravity - makes slow speed maneuvering and walking the bike tricky. - The suspension of the road model (XR) is rather poor (that of the XC model is better). 
When my Tiger was in at the dealer for yet another cam chain check, I got an FJ as a replacement. The FJ fitted like a glove, makes a nice sound, has more power and does not have the above disadvantages. So I decided that I could no longer live with the Tiger - I ride bikes for pleasure....
To be fair, the Tiger did have some benefits over the FJ:- The Tiger can carry a higher maximum pay load.- The XC models have some off-road capability.- The Tiger is more stable than the FJ at high speeds (for me that is the main disadvantage of the FJ).- The built quality of the Tiger looks better (but time will tell).
I have now covered 8000 km with my FJ (including a one week 4000 km trip to the mountains in the south of France) and I am happy with the bike. So this one will stay.

• Premium Member
The Tiger 800 is one of the increasing number of Triumphs made entirely in Thailand, yet they still market the 'British' thing.  Yes it might be designed in the UK but they are charging a premium for an Asian made product.  At least the FJ is manufactured in Yamaha's country of origin.
Perhaps this will get political but I'm not sure why this matters. Volvos are made in Belgium, Dodge Charger come from Canada, Toyota makes some cars in Mexico, and BMW's largest factory in the whole world is in South Carolina.

We have a global economy. So long as the factory workers are paid well and treated fairly, it doesn't make much difference to me whether my motorcycle was made in England, Japan, or Thailand.

Guest kernowjim
Perhaps this will get political but I'm not sure why this matters. Volvos are made in Belgium, Dodge Charger come from Canada, Toyota makes some cars in Mexico, and BMW's largest factory in the whole world is in South Carolina.  
We have a global economy. So long as the factory workers are paid well and treated fairly, it doesn't make much difference to me whether my motorcycle was made in England, Japan, or Thailand.
I understand the global economy but Triumph constantly claim how British they are whilst employing everyone in Thailand.

• Premium Member
Well sure. And Dodge had a TV commercial with George Washington waving the Red-White-and-Blue while riding into battle atop a Canadian-built Challenger. It doesn't get much more absurd than that.

Archived