Three days in western Washington

keithu

• Premium Member
I took the first week of September off work. I did a car road trip the first half of the week with my wife, then finished with a little tour on the FJ-09 around Washington's Olympic Peninsula, across Washington Pass in the North Cascades, and then down past Mt. St. Helens. My goal was to escape the heavy wildfire smoke blanketing Oregon. Washington had a bit of smoke too, so I decided to switch the camera to mono for most of the trip. Unfortunately I accidentally chose the green filter, which would be better for portraits than scenery. Now I'm on a computer with no RAW software, so this is what we get. So it's almost like the old days where I went on a road trip with the wrong film loaded in the camera...

DSCF3623.jpg
Cell phone photo while sitting on the US-101 bridge in Astoria. This bridge really sucks.

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg
I camped the first night outside of Ocean Shores. The "Screaming Eagle" campground costs a couple dollars more than the nearby state park campground, but I got this nice little spot next to the slough.

Day 2:

DSCF3636.jpg

DSCF3638.jpg

DSCF3640.jpg

DSCF3663.jpg
At Port Townsend I rode the ferry across Puget Sound to Widbey Island. 

DSCF3666.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3700.jpg
After skirting the north end of the Seattle metropolis I continued east on WA-20 up into the North Cascades.

DSCF3705.jpg
I camped at a little site just past Washington Pass.

Day 3:

KIMG0338.jpg
Saturday morning I rolled into Winthrop just as they were pulling these cinnamon rolls out of the oven. (Cell phone pic)

DSCF3712.jpg
From Winthrop I rode south to Yakima, then US-2 west to Mt. St. Helens. The road up to Mt. St. Helens is in truly awful condition (as reported elsewhere on the forum). My oil pan survived the contorted asphalt, barely. This was a fun ride the last time I did it 12-13 years ago. Now, not so much.

DSCF3721.jpgHere's Mt. St. Helens. Really, I promise it's there.

DSCF3727.jpg

At this point I wanted to get home, so I hit I-5 and burned south through Portland to Albany. It was a great 1200 mile getaway with only about 120 miles of freeway. 

I took the first week of September off work. I did a car road trip the first half of the week with my wife, then finished with a little tour on the FJ-09 around Washington's Olympic Peninsula, across Washington Pass in the North Cascades, and then down past Mt. St. Helens. My goal was to escape the heavy wildfire smoke blanketing Oregon. Washington had a bit of smoke too, so I decided to switch the camera to mono for most of the trip. Unfortunately I accidentally chose the green filter, which would be better for portraits than scenery. Now I'm on a computer with no RAW software, so this is what we get. So it's almost like the old days where I went on a road trip with the wrong film loaded in the camera... 

DSCF3631.jpg

What are those saddlebags?  I don't think I have ever seen them before.  Thanks.

• Premium Member
Nice photos, liked the b&w palette.   
Keith, I believe you (and Will Martin) gave me some helpful info on my TT600 back in the old STN days. I was stromgal there.

Yes, I remember. It's great to hear from you again!

I rejoined the STN forum about two years ago but it was kinda dead. I haven't been by in a while.

• Supporting Member
At this point I wanted to get home, so I hit I-5 and burned south through Portland to Albany. It was a great 1200 mile getaway with only about 120 miles of freeway. 
You just missed the re-opening of SR410 Chinook Pass after the wildfire.  It opened yesterday at noon.Fortunately most of the fire damage is not visible from the road.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived