Scraping Centre stand...bobbins and paddock stand solution

So I'm getting a bit worried over scraping the centre stand when cornering, so I'm going to take it off altogether and use a paddock stand and bobbins.

is there much to chose from in terms of quality and longevity - anyone got any suggestions (bear in mind I'm in the UK so needs to be something I can buy here (or Europe or import at reasonable cost)).

Ta.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Supporting Member
So I'm getting a bit worried over scraping the centre stand when cornering, so I'm going to take it off altogether and use a paddock stand and bobbins.
You sure you have everything adjusted correctly? or do you have your suspension lowered significantly? Just out looking at my bike, in order for the center stand to touch you would have to be leaned over far enough to almost grind your pegs off. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If you are worried about scrapping the centerstand, you should also worry about your body position on the bike. Slide that bum out a little int he corner, makes a world of difference.

Like betoney mentionned, the pegs should scrape well before the stand also.

Others have mentioned your suspension. If you want to install bobbins and use a stand, here is my experience. Just about any bobbin will work, metal or plastic, but there is a big difference in stands. "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. Cheaper stands are ok if all you want to do is lube the chain. Better stands are more stable and allow you to remove wheels and climb on the bike to make adjustments. I have a Pitbull rear stand that works with or without bobbins.

https://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands

• Supporting Member
+1 on the Pit Bull stands. I've used them for years, and have never had an issue.

As for the swingarm spools, I use the Evotech Performance ones on the FJ... Look good and work well. The manufacturer notes do say that they are only intended to support the weight of the motorcycle, so that may be something to keep in mind.

https://evotech-performance.com/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-abs-deluxe-m6-paddock-bobbins-2015-onwards

a7b61cefdfd55a54fa22f2ab9278d46a.jpg

Ill check those out. Thanks chaps. Responses to comments...

1. Suspension is Nitron, and custom built for my weight. It is a direct replacement for the rather budget Yamaha shock (it's a cheap bike so no complaints actually). And very set up correctly. It makes increased lean angle extremely too easy to do now . It's about 1000 miles old. Not replacing that just yet. It was nearly £700!

2. I tend to ride back roads, and some of these are quite uneven, which may be the typical cause of groundings the surface undulates + accelerating out of a bend would cause the suspension to compress too. So not so much heroics, as rubbish surfaces I think.

3. On riding style, yes I may have to be a little more bum slide over. However I am an Advanced RoSPA Gold rider (it's basically Police riding level without any of the pursuit training). I have to retake the test every 3 years to keep the certificate. They are highly critical of posture and riding position. Bum shuffles aren't in the method, but weighting well over to the direction of travel is. Last test, this year, the Police examiner stated that it s the best ride he'd seen in 15 years... just saying that I'm reasonably confident on riding technique And style too.

4. The hero blobs are pretty ground down too.

5. I've had a lot of different bikes over the years and it is only this (and a TDM900) that I ever caught the stand on. On this bike it's been 4 or 5 times now. It's a liability TBH.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

5. I've had a lot of different bikes over the years and it is only this (and a TDM900) that I ever caught the stand on. On this bike it's been 4 or 5 times now. It's a liability TBH.
Scraping the centre stand when cornering,  "You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"  

Leaning off the bike to the inside of the turn will keep the bike more upright, it is technique that takes some practice. I suppose you can google it and find some instructions on how to do it. It is a common racing technique and taught by all racing schools. You start the turn by counter-steering on the handle bars and then shift your weight to the extent needed based on speed and turn radius. I learned this technique by leaning off the bike and setting my body position before I got to the turn and keeping the bike straight by pressure on the handle bars in the opposite direction, then letting go of the bars when you want to turn. Be careful, you will be amazed how much faster the bike will turn.

Another riding technique dirt bikers use is called unloading the suspension before hitting a bump. While riding in a straight line, jump up off the bike to let the suspension extend before the bump to prevent harsh bottoming out as you hit the bump. When in corners, the extra G forces compress the suspension, so you can't really jump up, but you can straighten out the bike just before you hit the bump to unload and extend the suspension to prevent bottoming out.

Thanks xlxr I'm pretty aufait with these techniques, and taken the Tracer on track too. And you're right they are all techniques that can be added to road riding to some degree. However hanging off the side of the bike GP style isn't police friendly, and destroys any safety contingency left.

I personally wouldn't advocate riding a bike to its absolute limit on the road.. unless I was competing in the Isle of Man TT.

The scrapes have happened always ( as ever) on fairly relaxed, but fast rides, the bike or tyres are nowhere near their limits. I might try losing a bit of rubber of the stop first and see how that goes.

Hi eeetea I had the same problem scraping the stand when two up mostly.I also have aftermarket suspension (wilbers).I solved it by slackening the bolts that hold the stand on left side of bike and pushing it up.I managed to raise it about 1" it doesnt touch down now hope this helps.

• Premium Member
I'll now have to look but with the FZ6 type rubber clad pegs which are much longer than the OEM bits and which have much shorter 'curb feelers", I still have not dragged the CS. And that's on the OEM suspension albeit cranked up on the rebound and down on the preload and I'm a Clydesdale (and been told that I can be pretty darn fast and very smooth)!

20170125_184452.jpg

20170125_190638.jpg

20170125_203121.jpg

20170125_205209.jpg

20170125_205654.jpg

Unless your bike is totally screwed up there’s no way you should be scraping the center stand and don’t waste your time with those FZ pegs they don’t do anything at all to lessen the vibration. Get the adventure pegs available in the UK, you can actually feel the huge reduction in vibration by rolling your toe onto the metal teeth of the peg. I ride my tires to the absolute limit with the adventure pegs and the first point of contact with the road is the side of my boot

If your boots are scraping you need to move your feet back on the pegs. That's basics, they'll teach that on advanced riding and track days.   

Nothing screwed on my bike... did you read the thread all the way through? 

Archived