New Member from Portland, OR, Considering an FJ-09

dsmithpdx

Hello! My name is Doug and l live in Portland, OR. I currently have a Kawasaki Z125 Pro, which I am considering trading in on an FJ-09. I have considered the V-Strom 650/1000 (I had a 2005 V-Strom 650), and the Kawasaki Versys, but I really feel the FJ-09 is the right bike for me.

I have found two brand new left-over 2016s at a dealership here in Oregon for $7999 (no freight or set-up fees). I'm strongly considering picking one of them up (one was built in 8/15, the other in 3/16). However, the improved traction control and slipper/assist clutch in the 2017 model makes me wonder if it's worth spending the extra $2500-$3000. Any thoughts on that from people that have ridden both model years?

At any rate, I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Cheers!
Doug

Hello! My name is Doug and l live in Portland, OR. I currently have a Kawasaki Z125 Pro, which I am considering trading in on an FJ-09. I have considered the V-Strom 650/1000 (I had a 2005 V-Strom 650), and the Kawasaki Versys, but I really feel the FJ-09 is the right bike for me. 
I have found two brand new left-over 2016s at a dealership here in Oregon for $7999 (no freight or set-up fees). I'm strongly considering picking one of them up (one was built in 8/15, the other in 3/16). However, the improved traction control and slipper/assist clutch in the 2017 model makes me wonder if it's worth spending the extra $2500-$3000. Any thoughts on that from people that have ridden both model years?

At any rate, I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Cheers!
Doug

Honestly if you are not an agressive rider I would go with the 2016 model. I have the 2015 and have not once felt the traction control kick in. I ride semi agressive but not past my comfort zone. You can take the 2000 to 3000 difference and add a flash from Nels some hard bags, higdonnion cage, GPR steering damper, and still have money to take your woman (or man)out for a nice get away weekend.

I don't think the improvements are worth $2500-$3000.  I first rode a 2017 and then bought a 2015.  They feel the same.  Before I got the 2015 I was thinking of probably adding a slipper clutch but now that I have the bike I'm no longer considering it.  The clutch pull on mine feels pretty light and I guess I do a good enough job of rev matching that I feel that money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Supporting Member

I have found two brand new left-over 2016s at a dealership here in Oregon for $7999 (no freight or set-up fees).  However, the improved traction control and slipper/assist clutch in the 2017 model makes me wonder if it's worth spending the extra $2500-$3000.
That is a very fair price on the 2016 model.  If you really want the assist/slipper clutch, you can buy the parts for under $250.  I plan on adding one to my bike later this fall, in addition I also put money into the ECU flash and upgraded the suspension (Penske shock and cartridges from Forks by Matt). 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

the extra $2500 gives you 2 more modes of traction control and a slightly better clutch pull... but you will have a hard time doing any diagnostic or clearing codes with a 2017+ bike which may cost $ just to clear it at a dealership...

if your under 200# the stock suspension will suffice unless your aggressive, some ppl are not used to how quickly a "ride by wire" throttle system responses are 1000000% times faster than the ole cable system which makes some ppl think the throttle is jerky...

nothing wrong with the pre 2017 bikes, I would buy one before a 2017+ bike due to the fact I have quite a bit of control of the diagnostic features thru the dash board..
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Welcome!

I take it the dealer is Power Yamaha in Silverton? They definitely have the best Yamaha prices in the state, and they've sold a lot of FJs. Just make sure you do a careful inspection before you ride away. My 2015 had a few issues as delivered: loose front axle, loose oil filler, missing fairing bolts.

Other than that their service department has been fine, they just obviously had a clown doing prep when I picked up mine.

• Supporting Member
Just make sure you do a careful inspection before you ride away. My 2015 had a few issues as delivered: loose front axle, loose oil filler, missing fairing bolts.  
Other than that their service department has been fine, they just obviously had a clown doing prep when I picked up mine.
And make sure you have just over 1" of chain slack, if they adjust it to Yamaha specs. it will be way too tight. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived