Differences in 2015, 2016 and 2017 models?

I am in the market for a 2015 - 2017 Yamaha FJ-09. Prefer the 2015 Red or 2017 Blue.

I know the 2017 models in Canada appear to have the new slipper clutch and traction control. Are there any other differences to the models? Suspension? Other differences?
Also, is the catalyst in the exhaust below the engine or is it in the stock muffler?

Also, anybody have suggestions on bartering at dealers for new at this time of year?

thanks in advance,

:)
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

The catalyic converter is just inside the muffler

Anything before 2017 you have the ability to use the dashboard to clear codes or adjust a sensor or test it, otherwise it's a trip to the dealership to spend a little $ to clear it...
As for the slipper/assist clutch- not worth it for the extra $2-3k price tag when it's only about $350 in parts and a few hrs of your time...

My opinion it was utterly stupid to add 2 more modes of TC and a $350 clutch for a whopping extra $2k

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Thanks folks. Good information :)
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

2017: significant improvement in the throttle / fuelling. No more jerks etc. No need felt to flash the ecu. Minor irritants like mode resetting everytime you switch off the bike are also absent in the 2017 etc. etc.

Also: of course the 2017 white is faster. Ha

Is the issue with the oil drain plug more for off road or gravel roads? Can you replace the oil pan if you wanted?
Is the clutch cable also upgrade-able if it does in fact wear out faster on you?

The white and blue are nice colours on the 2017 models. I also like the 2015 red.

Is the issue with the oil drain plug more for off road or gravel roads? Can you replace the oil pan if you wanted? Is the clutch cable also upgrade-able if it does in fact wear out faster on you?

The white and blue are nice colours on the 2017 models. I also like the 2015 red.

Yes.
There’s really no “issue” with the drain plug, only that some folks don’t pay attention to the height of obstacles they attempt to ride over. Such riding will always dictate modifying a bike for something it wasn’t designed to do (go off road, for example).

Clutch cable is easy to swap out. Yamaha did update the p/n.
I and other riders here, are also on stock cables with lots of miles (2015 and pushing 26k) and no cable failures.

YMMV.
-Skip

Well, I got what seemed like a good deal on a new 2017 so there you have it.

thanks folks...and I can't wait to ride the bike next Saturday.

:)

I got my 2017 after reading all the short comings of 2015 and 2016. To me it was well worth paying extra $1,500.00 against the price of a left over 2016.Congrats and enjoy your new bike.
mind sharing what was the deal? & congrats :) 

Well... @urbannomad and I took a ride to a local power sports shop, about an hour and change of a trip. On our way back, we swapped bikes... his unmolest .

Very informative post. thanks for sharing that. Did you notice a notable difference in the throttle mapping between the two in different modes?

I got a quote from a place very far from me in Ottawa (4 hour drive) for $10200 plus tx including Freight and PDI. MSRP seems to be $11299 plus Freight and PDI for a total of $11700 + taxes. I was seriously considering going there just to spend a day riding the bike home on the nice roads around Calabogie, but, I'd have to get there first. I decided against going to Ottawa. I don't know if I got a great deal, but from comparing, few dealers were offering me much discount even when I said I was ready to buy. I found a more local place with the 2017 in the colour I wanted and went there and asked them if they could give me the price I was looking for. I am pretty sure I got at least a reasonably good deal, because watching the salesperson check his cost, his wasn't thrilled to offer the price I asked for. After some time and consideration staring at his cost binder list he relented.

There are some FJ 09 at Newmarket Suzuki (A grey 2016 on the showroom floor (love the blue wheels) and a white 2017 in crate (I bought the blue in crate)). Ready Power in Mississauga has some FJ 09 but I can't recall year and colour (no 2017 blue). VOS and Snow City Cycle do not have any in stock.

I have been waiting for the FJ09 for two riding seasons. I almost bought an XSR 900 in 2016 when I got my licence but thought it smarter to start on a 500 so now after two seasons riding my CB 500F I figure it ok to jump up now. If the 2018 has better features etc, then oh well. I am sure the pricing won't be big on discounts in the spring either. In Canada, our motorcycle riding season is roughly April (March if we're lucky) to October or early November (for most people, some people ride year round any time there is no snow or ice). If I waited until spring the pricing on any model year bike would have been more from what it seemed following the pricing through a one year cycle.

I am pretty sure I got at least a reasonably good deal, because watching the salesperson check his cost, his wasn't thrilled to offer the price I asked for. After some time and consideration staring at his cost binder list he relented. 

It's all part of the game...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived