Problems after installing LED turn signals

mrrab

Greetings!

First time posting and unfortunately not for a good reason as I’m having electrical issues after installing front and rear LED turn signals as well as a tail tidy kit.

Part I:
Installed the front LED turn signals without any issues. I purchased the 3 wire to 2 wire signal converter and LED signal flasher relay the from tripageled.com as well as Yamaha wire connectors – links to all of this provided below.

3 wire to 2 wire converter:
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=114&product_id=156

LED signal flasher relay:
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_140&product_id=58

Yamaha wire connectors:
https://www.solomotoparts.com/DMP-Yamaha-OEM-Type-Marker-Light-Connectors/

Part II:

When the tail tidy kit arrived this past Friday, I went ahead and installed the rear LED turn signals along with the tail tidy kit. Everything was going fine until the license plate LED light wires (2) somehow crossed paths resulting in a blown 7.5A fuse. Thought no big deal and replaced the fuse. However, after replacing the fuse, the front LED turn signals are dim; the rear LED turn signals are dim and stay illuminated AND the turn signal indicators on the dashboard are lightly dimmed!
When I switch the turn signals on, the front LED turn signals work normal (though dim), the rear LED turn signals work normal (though bright). AND the rear LED turn signals stay on!!!

So what the heck! Any thoughts?!

I’m thinking I may have fried the LED signal flasher relay or possibly a front turn signal since they aren’t glowing as bright as they should. This evening I’ll troubleshoot by replacing the LED flasher relay with the stock flasher relay to see if that fixes anything. I’ll also post a video.

Thanks! -Alex

Video of Problem.

I am almost positive your flasher is bad and "bleeding" voltage. That is my only guess. No way crossing the wires has caused any wires to melt and short out. But yea put the factory relay back and it should blink fast but should not bleed. If it still happens....double check all your connections and wiring and make sure nothing is pinched but that should not cause what is happening.

Edit: Just realized it is a noob. Probably fixed it and will never be back!!

I am almost positive your flasher is bad and "bleeding" voltage. That is my only guess. No way crossing the wires has caused any wires to melt and short out. But yea put the factory relay back and it should blink fast but should not bleed. If it still happens....double check all your connections and wiring and make sure nothing is pinched but that should not cause what is happening. 

Edit: Just realized it is a noob. Probably fixed it and will never be back!!
Snap! 
The flasher isn't bad. Have the same problem when I put the stock flasher in and I get the hyper flashing. 

Checked the connections tonight and everything is tight. Suppose, I can get a voltmeter and check for 12V power at all the turn signals, but if they're all lit, wouldn't one assume there isn't a problem.

Also, received the *new* front LED turn signals tonight, tested them and got the same results.

This is extremely frustrating because I swear everything was working as turn signals should before I crossed those license plate wires.

And finally, jerry-rigged one of the stock front turn signals and both of the rear lights turned off, turn signals worked with the exception of the jerry-rigged front one -- must have had 2 of the 3 wires miss connected.

Are LEDs really this finicky. I would have never done this had I known I would have ended up with this issue.

I installed LED signal on all 4 corners, a LED licence plate light, and a flasher relay... everything was plug and play, no issues.

I hope you figure it out.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Are LEDs really this finicky. I would have never done this had I known I would have ended up with this issue.
No, not finicky at all, like @duhs10 said, they are plug and play.  I have used LED signals front and back on different bikes and literally just remove the old signals and plug in the new signals along with the flasher relay. I hope you get this sorted out.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Looking at the product specs it says the 3-2 wire converter will not work on fz-09 bikes...Well I do believe the fj-09 is the same...so maybe that is your issue?
Possibly. However, I had the front LED turn signals connected with the relay and 3-2 wires before installing the rears and everything worked fine. 
Another thought...The front and rear turn signals are not synchronized. For example the front blinks first then the rears. Could this indicate a bad relay. I’m puzzled if it would be a bad relay because the stock relay is fine.

https://tstindustries.com/TST-LED-Flasher-Relay-Gen2.html 
This is the flasher relay I used. Allows you to change flash rate if desired too. Been on the bike for almost 2 years with no problems.

Thanks for the tip. Saw this one when I was doing g my research. From the website it say, "Slows signalling flash rate back to the normal rate when your bike goes into hyperflash state (or your signals stay on constantly)"

Note stays on constantly -- that's my problem (rear)!!!

Rear brake switch needs adjustment?
I see where you’re coming from. However, the rear signals are acting like a taillight. If I engage the brake, nothing happens to the rear signals. They just remain solid.  
I may may just go ahead and buy a new LED relay. Maybe I fried both the stock and the LED relay. 

How did you install the led signals? Are they spliced to the original wires? I bought some OEM connectors and used those so all OEM wiring is intact. Maybe you have them connected to the wrong connections. The tailight, rear signals, and brake light wiring are all in the same area and look very similar. Re-check all the connections.

OEM relay should work just have a really fast flash

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

How did you install the led signals? Are they spliced to the original wires? I bought some OEM connectors and used those so all OEM wiring is intact. Maybe you have them connected to the wrong connections. The tailight, rear signals, and brake light wiring are all in the same area and look very similar. Re-check all the connections. 
OEM relay should work just have a really fast flash

I used OEM connectors as well. I'll double check (at some point I'm going to go insane about double checking), but it seemed as though the taillight wiring is clearly distinct from the turn signal and license plate wiring. I really don't see how anyone could confused them. And wouldn't the turn signals NOT blink if I confused the wiring?...

Archived