Chain

Just did a 4 day 1300 mile ride.  Great ride, on one leg got 57 mpg at 65-68 mph (slight tail wind). Anyway, before departure checked chain and set to about .5 in deflection. About halfway through the ride chain got real tight maybe .2-.3 deflection (no chain tools to check or adjust). Axle nut and all else torqued to book spec. Why would it tighten, you would think if anything it would loosen?

• Premium Member
Is it possible you measured the chain with the bike in different positions? (one on the center stand, one on the side stand) That might account for this.

Also, Yamaha's chain slack specification is too tight (IMHO), and should be around 1 inch. There has been a lot of conversation about this on the board, just search and you will find all kinds of useful information.

More than likely you just checked it at two different spots. Chains do not necessarily wear/stretch evenly. You always want to check the slack in several places. With the bike on the center stand, check the slack, then turn the tire a half revolution or so and check again. Do this several times until you have gone around the whole chain. You’ll find your tight and loose sections very quickly.
And yes, the slack recommendation in the manual is just plain wrong. At least 1 inch, but a little more is even better. I run mine at about 1.25”.

FJ_on_road.jpg

Been riding 45 years, know about checking chain in full run of chain travel while on center stand. Lube chain every 400 miles. Just never had a chain tightening on long trip, in the past if anything chain would loosen. And yes I find chain spec in manual too tight. Anyway, the FJ is a fun bike to cruise distance especially with cruise control, touring shield, risers, highway pegs and Sargent seat.

• Supporting Member
FJ_on_road.jpg

Anyway, the FJ is a fun bike to cruise distance especially with cruise control, touring shield, risers, highway pegs and Sargent seat.
+1  Since the end of June I have logged over 12,000 miles.  Cruise control and a custom seat were crucial in day-long comfort.  This little FJ is truly a gem!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Kernowjim, heat will not cause it to tighten. Heat makes things expand, therefore, in the case of a chain, if anything it would loosen. Lack of lube could make it stiff, but it will not lessen the slack. I still think the first time yamaham measured, he happened to measure a loose spot and later in the trip he measured a tighter section. The tighter section was there the whole time. Yamaham, did you check tension in different places or just in one spot. My stock chain very quickly developed a tight spot, even with an auto luber. Technically, chains don’t develop tight sections, they develop loose ones.

On the 4 day trip I lubed the chain every evening and the chain was very tight every lube and had even tightness (no section stretched). On a side note, I am trying DuPont Teflon mc chain lube but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the tightness. The only thing possible is the axle nut would have loosened and wheel moved back.

• Supporting Member
The only thing possible is the axle nut would have loosened and wheel moved back.
Since you stated that the axle nut was torqued to spec when you noticed the tight chain, then you can rule that theory out. 

FJ_on_road.jpg

Been riding 45 years, know about checking chain in full run of chain travel while on center stand. Lube chain every 400 miles. Just never had a chain tightening on long trip, in the past if anything chain would loosen. And yes I find chain spec in manual too tight. Anyway, the FJ is a fun bike to cruise distance especially with cruise control, touring shield, risers, highway pegs and Sargent seat.
You should never be checking your chain slack with the bike on the center stand. If you have 1 inch of slack on the center stand, you'll have zero slack with you on the bike.

• Supporting Member
You should never be checking your chain slack with the bike on the center stand.
Are you sure you dont have that backwards?  Everything I have always read and practiced state that you should ALWAYS check chain slack with the bike on its center stand.  With the wheel at its lowest point you are setting the chain to its loosest point.  Or have I been doing it wrong all of these years? 

You should never be checking your chain slack with the bike on the center stand.
Are you sure you dont have that backwards?  Everything I have always read and practiced state that you should ALWAYS check chain slack with the bike on its center stand.  With the wheel at its lowest point you are setting the chain to its loosest point.  Or have I been doing it wrong all of these years?
Maybe you mean side stand?  The measurement on the center stand is going to be a little looser because the rear suspension isn't supporting the weight of the bike.  That will take up some slack in the chain.    

• Supporting Member
Maybe you mean side stand? 
No, center stand, just like the FJ manual instructs.  Page 7-25, step one: To check the drive chain slack 1. Place the motorcycle on the centerstand.   

• Premium Member
This has been discussed at length in other threads,

Yamaha says you should check your chain slack while the bike is on the center stand

Anyone is, of course, welcome to follow other advice, but you should know that your are ignoring the recommendation from Yamaha

I have several mc's and bikes with center stand manual says use center stand, and bikes with only side stand manual says use side stand (bikes with both side and center stand manual says use center stand). Sounds simple to me. Follow manual, end of story. When possible I install center stand on all bikes, makes it much easier for maintenance, washing and loading. As far as chain tension I would still follow OEM engineering and follow their specifications with maybe alittle cushion.......

Archived