Chain

Guest kernowjim
Kernowjim, heat will not cause it to tighten. Heat makes things expand, therefore, in the case of a chain, if anything it would loosen. Lack of lube could make it stiff, but it will not lessen the slack. I still think the first time yamaham measured, he happened to measure a loose spot and later in the trip he measured a tighter section. The tighter section was there the whole time. Yamaham, did you check tension in different places or just in one spot. My stock chain very quickly developed a tight spot, even with an auto luber. Technically, chains don’t develop tight sections, they develop loose ones.
Incorrect.  If a chain heats up it tightens not loosens.  If the moving parts of the chain (the rollers) expand against the links it will tighten - don't ask me how I know!  (personal experience)

It will not tighten if by tighten you mean shorten. If you mean get stiffer, that’s something different entirely. If you measure the length between say 10 pins when the chain is hot and when it’s cold, it will be shorter when cold. If you don’t lube it, it may get so hot it seizes, but the overall length of the chain will not be shorter.

You should never be checking your chain slack with the bike on the center stand. If you have 1 inch of slack on the center stand, you'll have zero slack with you on the bike.
Are you checking yours while sitting on the bike? Can you make a video? tongue.png
My point was that the wheelbase is shortest and the chain is at its loosest when the rear wheel is off the ground. This is no way to adjust the chain slack, because your measurement in this position is completely irrelevant.  
And yes, I actually do check my chain slack while on the bike. Engine off, first gear, clutch out with the bike facing slightly uphill. Let it roll back so the top run of the chain is tight. Reach down with left hand and check for slack. Some slack=good to go, no slack=adjust.

You should never be checking your chain slack with the bike on the center stand.
Are you sure you dont have that backwards?  Everything I have always read and practiced state that you should ALWAYS check chain slack with the bike on its center stand.  With the wheel at its lowest point you are setting the chain to its loosest point.  Or have I been doing it wrong all of these years?
No, I don't have it backwards. Just for kicks, adjust your slack to 1 inch on the center stand. Now get on the bike. That 1 inch of slack is gone and your chain is as tight as a guitar string, and is more than likely limiting suspension travel, along with putting excessive strain on your drive line. The chain gets tighter as weight is applied.

No, I don't have it backwards. Just for kicks, adjust your slack to 1 inch on the center stand. Now get on the bike. That 1 inch of slack is gone and your chain is as tight as a guitar string, and is more than likely limiting suspension travel, along with putting excessive strain on your drive line. The chain gets tighter as weight is applied.
It's perfectly ok to check your chain slack on the centre stand as long as you use the right measurement. That means not following the measurement in the manual but instead setting it at about 30mm. 
CS

Speaking of chains................In the long run, I'm wondering how chain wear is going with those using OEM specs vs those using something looser than that? I only have about 7000 miles and been using about .5 for chain spec and chain wear appears to be normal. Also, has anyone been using Teflon chain lube? I've been using it since new and once again everything appears normal. The only thing with the Teflon stuff (Wallyworld has it at a decent price) its kinda clear hard to see it. I lube about every 400 miles.

I had mine at Yamaha spec for first 7000k then adjusted to 30mm, at 10,000k and mechanic told me I need to replace chain and sprocket, I regret leaving it at spec for so long as now it’s costing me $$$ which I think should  be covered by Yamaha due to there tight spec wearing it out so quick , iam going to send Yamaha a nice email soon 

I've been using the Dupont Teflon chain lube since new.  I now have 16k + on my bike but my chain and sprockets are due for replacement.  I clean and lube my chain every 500 miles for the most part and yes, I get it at "Wallyworld" (aka Walmart).
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I got 16000 miles out of my factory chain and sprockets. Bought one of these http://www.greaseninja.com/ and started using it when I popped on the new parts. Got 16000 on the new chain and sprockets and think I can easily get another 16000.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I got 16000 miles out of my factory chain and sprockets. Bought one of these http://www.greaseninja.com/ and started using it when I popped on the new parts. Got 16000 on the new chain and sprockets and think I can easily get another 16000.
Another thumbs up for greaseninja..... I have been using it from nearly beginning. I have 14,000 on the original chain and sprockets and all seems fine....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived