Stiff Suspension

bikebone

I bought a slightly used (800 miles) 2015 FJ-09 a couple of weeks ago.  The first ride was brutal, left me with a sore back.  I looked at the owner's handbook and found the specs on how to set the suspension to "soft".  Now, it's better, but still not very comfortable.  I have 3 other bikes (FJR1300, KLR 650, 1983 Standard Goldwing) and none of them beat me up like this one.  I had visions of touring some on this bike, but with the suspension as it is, that's out of the question.  Anybody have any suggestions on how I can make this thing more comfortable?

• Supporting Member
When inquiring about anything suspension related, it is important to list your weight. The starting point of setting up your suspension is correct spring rate and setting the sag (spring pre-load) which is determined by your weight.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

try some of the top threads over here: https://fj-09.org/board/7/fj-09-suspension

There are a slew of solutions ranging from a few hundred dollars up to 2000. But they boil down to:
1. get the right springs
2. set sag and in the case of the stock bike, the rebound so it's not over-damped
3. fix the valving be it valve/shim changes or wholesale component replacement

• 4 weeks later...
Mine was a demo bike. The owner of the dealership had been using it and had set it up to his liking, which was harsh to say the least. Preload front and rear were maxed out. After I went through and set it up correctly to my weight the transformation was enough to satisfy me and put any thoughts of upgrading the suspension out of my mind. I still find it to be a little harsh on sharp impacts but not enough to worry about. I've been on a twelve hour day covering dirt/gravel roads, highways and twisty back roads and find the suspension to be very capable in all situations. The seat was a different story. In stock form it's never going to be Vstrom supple.

Mine was a demo bike. The owner of the dealership had been using it and had set it up to his liking, which was harsh to say the least. Preload front and rear were maxed out. After I went through and set it up correctly to my weight the transformation was enough to satisfy me and put any thoughts of upgrading the suspension out of my mind. I still find it to be a little harsh on sharp impacts but not enough to worry about. I've been on a twelve hour day covering dirt/gravel roads, highways and twisty back roads and find the suspension to be very capable in all situations. The seat was a different story. In stock form it's never going to be Vstrom supple.
Apart from the very first and very last sentences, my experiences have been identical.   The bike is now satisfactorily set up, suspension-wise, with the bonus added comfort of my BAGSTER seat.   Not that I plan any (they belong to my BMW GS days!) I reckon a 1000km day would not be out of the question now.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
I still find it to be a little harsh on sharp impacts but not enough to worry about. The seat was a different story. In stock form it's never going to be Vstrom supple.
Setting the suspension to feel "ok" or "good enough" is something I just cant accept.  Having many decades of off-road experience where proper suspension setup is a must, I am used to the WOW factor when riding (floating) over roots and rocks.  Harsh suspension or an uncomfortable seat is something you just dont have to settle for, nor do you need to spend a fortune on correcting it either.
There was a recent post about Terry Adcox Seat and his price seems outstanding.  I too had a custom seat made and couldnt be happier with the result.  Sitting on the seat and feeling the suspension is something you feel every minute of the ride, set it up for the WOW factor and enjoy the ride.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I still find it to be a little harsh on sharp impacts but not enough to worry about. The seat was a different story. In stock form it's never going to be Vstrom supple.
Setting the suspension to feel "ok" or "good enough" is something I just cant accept.  Having many decades of off-road experience where proper suspension setup is a must, I am used to the WOW factor when riding (floating) over roots and rocks.  Harsh suspension or an uncomfortable seat is something you just dont have to settle for, nor do you need to spend a fortune on correcting it either.
There was a recent post about Terry Adcox Seat and his price seems outstanding.  I too had a custom seat made and couldnt be happier with the result.  Sitting on the seat and feeling the suspension is something you feel every minute of the ride, set it up for the WOW factor and enjoy the ride.

I don't have that breadth of experience. This is only my second bike with my first bike being a Sportster Iron with about an inch of travel, and if you've ever ridden one you'll understand that the FJs suspension is in a whole other league. I'm not saying that it can't be improved. Not at all. I'm just saying I'm content with things as they are.

I've modified the seat and have yet to get the opportunity to go more than six hours on it which is when the stocker started to get uncomfortable.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the input. I solved my problem by replacing the shock/spring unit with a unit off of an FZ-09. Reset the sag and played with the rebound and now it works great! Many of the guys with FZ's were putting FJ shock/spring units on their bikes. Seems as though the FJ's were over damped and FZ's just the opposite.

Archived