Rear axle torque

BBB

For those who’ve done any touring, did you bother taking any tools with you to undo the rear axle nut in order to adjust the chain? If so, what did you take ( breaker bar, torque wrench, racer spanner?)?

And finally, do you always torque up the axle nut, and if so, what value do you use if you don’t use the value in the manual (which seems high)?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

No. I've never adjusted the chain on long trips. I make sure all is roadworthy before setting off.
If it needed adjustment I'd be happy to find a local mechanic or dealer wherever I was.
My bikes are fairly new and in good nick, and I hate carrying too much just in case stuff.

I have needed to replace tyres far from home and have trusted the tyre places to torque the axle correctlyish.

I once used the workshop of an agricultural machine shop in a small town to unsuccessfully diagnose a charging problem.
(it was the regulator/rectifier, finally found by a Yamaha dealer a few days later (2000km from home), who took one from their showroom model to replace mine !)

I do however, have a spare clutch cable pre-routed and ready to go.

Thanks @suncoaster, good advice. I don’t fancy carting a torque wrench and breaker bar on the off chance I may need it.

• Premium Member
I bring a Craftsman 27 mm combo wrench (about 14" long that fits in my side cases) that I've checked and will provide enough leverage to torque to at least 100 ft # without giving me a hernia, which while not quite the 108 specified (which IMO is too much) is more than enough. IMO 85 ~ 90 ft # is adequate and safe to run 100% of the time.

I also will carry a new chain slack adjustment tool I use called the Chain Monkey made by Tru-Tension .com and set my 520 chain at 1.375".
BTW, Kratos now makes a clone of the Chain Monkey for 1/3 the cost available on eBay. Motion Pro also sells their "SlackSetter" (PN 08-0611 which I have not tested) that can also be had for about $15 on eBay but I like the design of the CM better.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking to carry a tool kit that could remove either wheel if needed, but I don’t think I’ll bother with that aspect now. I’ve got a puncture repair kit and breakdown cover and that will do.

Archived