Oxford grips on factory controller

After reading about the guy running his heated vest on the factory controller and some other threads I decided that I'm going to attempt to run my Oxford grips through the factory controller.

I received them this afternoon. First I decided to check the resistance. The left grip measured 6.5 ohms and the right was 7.5. I read a thread the other day (that I can't find now) and someone commented that the Yamaha grips were much lower than that. I don't remember the exact values but I think it was somewhere around 4.5 and 3.7 or something like that.

I decided to make a set of jumper wires to hook the Oxford grips up to the factory grip connectors just to see if I could get the group menu to pop up. That consisted of just shoving some speaker wire into the tiny pins on the factory connectors and doing the same on the grips, definitely not a proper solid connection. I figured the worse thing that could happen is it wouldn't read them and nothing would happen.

Much to my surprise when I turned the ignition and hit the menu switch the grip warmer menu popped up! Very encouraging!

I decided to start the bike and see if they would heat up. The factory settings are 10 on high, 5 on medium and 1 on low. After a minute or so the grips actually started getting a little warm! Then my jumper wires started falling out and my wife got home and was pissed that I spent all evening playing with the bike instead of doing what I was supposed to be doing so I had to put the bike back together.

But I'm encouraged that it might be as simple as getting to correct connectors and plugging them in! It can't be that easy can it? Surely there is going to be a gotcha coming.

Anyway, I'm going to order some connectors and test it.

I did hook them up to the Oxford controller, powering it with my old school battery charger and man do they ever get hot! I will say that they seemed to be a little hotter in the same amount of time with the Oxford controller than when hooked to the bike.

It could be that they have too much resistance and will just not get that hot when hooked to the bike. If that's the case I'm not sure there is a fix for that and it'll be a dead end. But considering my dodgy connections and the short amount of time I had them hooked up, the fact that the menu popped up and they started to get warm is very, very encouraging.

I'll know more when I get the proper connectors in and have time to wire them in and really test them.

If anyone has any experience or concerns please let me know.

I'm concerned about the wife... ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

After reading about the guy running his heated vest on the factory controller and some other threads I decided that I'm going to attempt to run my Oxford grips through the factory controller. 
<Snip>

I'll know more when I get the proper connectors in and have time to wire them in and really test them.

Unfortunately this won't work. The Oxford grips are designed to work in parallel whereas the factory grips are designed to work in series. You will find that the Oxford grips will get a little warm but not really warm when connected to the factory controller. 
CS

This is my experience with aftermarket grips on the factory controller.

The previous owner of my bike had fitted some of those cheap 2 setting chinese heated grip pads over the OEM grips but under some heat shrink. It looked pretty average so I fitted some grip puppies over the whole lot which hid the ugliness, increased the grip diameter (which I prefer) and they still got warm.

To tidier it up further I decided I would connect them to the OEM controller.

Resistance of each grip was way higher than the reported OEM heated grips so they needed to be connected in parallel. Final resistance is 16.7 ohms.

Connected grips ok and menu showed up on display. So far so good.
Next step was to work out what settings to use by measuring the voltage at each of the setting levels. Was surprised to find the following:

Levels 0,1 & 2 = 0V
Level 3 = 2.8V
Level 4 = 4.2V
Levels 5 to 10 = 7.1V

So effectively there are only 3 settings to be had and not even the full 12V. Bummer.
Nevertheless the grips still provide some relief from the cold (not that we get so much of that in West Aust).
For the exercise I measured the temp under the grip puppy to be 45C (in today's ambient of 30C) and 40C on the outside at the hottest setting (5-10 take your pick, it matters not) after running them until the cooling fan cut in. 

I'm quite happy to let this arrangement remain for the time being.

Yamaha system designed to run grips in series therefore resistance the controller is expecting is R1 + R2 of yamaha grips.
With oxford grips of higher resistances in parallel the overall resistance will be less than the sum 1/R1 + 1/R2, for two 7ohm grips thats 3.5 ohms. So if this is equivalent to what the yamaha is expecting shouldn't this work as long as you wire them in parallel?

Unfortunately this won't work. The Oxford grips are designed to work in parallel whereas the factory grips are designed to work in series. You will find that the Oxford grips will get a little warm but not really warm when connected to the factory controller. 
CS

Is this from personal experience?

CS
Is this from personal experience?
Yes

I'm concerned about the wife... wink.png
Yea it amazes me that some women really think they can dictate what a man does every minute . You work all week and then you have to work on the weekend for your other "boss". Don't get me wrong I don't mind being manipulated in a sweet sexy way' but if my wife came off pissed  cause I didn't do what I was told ... Let's just say it's not the best way to approach me  

I'm concerned about the wife... wink.png
Yea it amazes me that some women really think they can dictate what a man does every minute . You work all week and then you have to work on the weekend for your other "boss". Don't get me wrong I don't mind being manipulated in a sweet sexy way' but if my wife came off pissed  cause I didn't do what I was told ... Let's just say it's not the best way to approach me  
Choosing or being lucky enough to find the 'right' woman is every bit as tricky as finding the right anything else: I freely admit to having the world's best wife after 56 years of marriage!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 8 months later...

Archived