Tools and Flat Repair kits

A post in another thread got me thinking about this.  I have a magnetic base tank bag that I use on three different bikes.  My old tank bag could hold all my regular stuff as well as a nice Cruztools roll up kit and a Stop and Go flat repair kit.  When I beat that bag up behind salvage I couldn’t find one I liked that was as large, so I made sure I had sufficient tools on each bike.  The Cruz economy kit fit on one, and the very small speedkit fit on another.  When on the RC30 I just have a Cruz multi tool and a flat kit (they just barely fit in the small compartment behind the seat).

I really like the Cruztools kit in the roll up, but the tiny ratchet and sockets aren’t really good for much.

If I was building my own kit again, probably:
3/8 drive ratchet with 8,10,11,14 mm 6-point sockets, 4 inch extension 
adjustable wrench
locking pliers 
driver with multiple heads (including torx)
wire ties
fuses

As far as flat kits go, the ones with CO2 inflators are fine,  but you need to carry at least a half dozen cartridges.  You can get an inflator that uses the cheap cartridges they sell at Walmart, or you can get the threaded neck cartridges fairly cheap on line.  That means you only have to carry the little hose to inflate tires.

The Stop and Go kits are great but sometimes a puncture is too big for them.  You can get other sets with the big sticky repair things but eventually it becomes a compromise about how much stuff you want to carry.

One more thing:  you can go crazy buying high end tools, but if you shop around you can get moderately priced tools of sufficient quality.  I’d much rather haul around a ratchet from Harbor Freight (their composite 3/8 ratchet only costs 8.99) and not be worried about it.

• Supporting Member
I saw this Stockton roadside toolkit on sale for $39.95 in the latest Cycle Gear sale paper. It comes in Metric or SAE versions, and looks reasonably complete (minus tire repair) for a compact tool roll to keep on the bike for emergency use. I think I’ll drop by my local store and check it out...

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-roadside-tool-kit

I saw this Stockton roadside toolkit on sale for $39.95 in the latest Cycle Gear sale paper. It comes in Metric or SAE versions, and looks reasonably complete (minus tire repair) for a compact tool roll to keep on the bike for emergency use. I think I’ll drop by my local store and check it out...  

I have the compact version of these on my bike and the full one in my truck. I pair it with a Slime air compressor and plug kit for longer rides.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thats a good toolkit on sale, I paid full price for that in November!

When on the RC30...
Thought you could just slip that in there unnoticed, eh? smiley.png 
Very nice... I’m a little bit jealous.
And it has an aluminum tank, so no magnetic tank bank.  I could never bring my self to put straps or anything else for a tank bag on there, so it’s just a fanny pack and whatever fits in the little compartment behind the seat.  We recently sold my wife’s Aprilia Mille R, and that had a plastic fuel tank so the same problem.   
I’m sort of addicted to all the junk I carry around in the tank bag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I'm a "tool junkie" and I like to be prepared. I haven't put my kit together for the FJ, but I have had one for quite some time on my ST-1100. Great thing about that bike is that there is lots of room for storage. 2 pockets in the fairing, large cubbie under the seat, and with the saddle bags and monokey top box, plenty of room to pack lots of stuff!

I use a tool roll stored in the top box to keep the majority of tools in. What I do is use the tools in the roll when I do maintenance. If I find there's a tool needed for a maintenance task not in the roll, I add it. That way I should have most any tool I need while on the road. Here is what is currently in the roll:

20180206_203835.jpg

In addition to the tool roll, I carry a 12V "Slime" air compressor, my "flat repair" box with gummy worms and tools, spare valve core, patches, glue, etc, and a pair of mechanic's gloves all stored neatly in the tail section under the seat:

20180206_200957.jpg

In the right fairing pocket; a multi-tool, spare fuses, some wire and electrical tape:

20180206_202255.jpg

Left pocket has a tire gauge, flash lights and preload wrench. I also carry a tiny multi-meter, a hand full of zip ties and a "Jump starter" battery pack in the top box. Here's what the majority of the kit looks like:

20180206_201711.jpg

For the FJ, I plan on doing mostly the same. I've started by getting a "Stop and Go" air compressor, which is a bit smaller than the Slime unit:

20180206_202547.jpg

20180206_202730.jpg

The "Stop and Go" comes with a couple different connectors. I will put an SAE connector on for that connection.

I've been pretty fortunate over the years. I've only had to plug a couple tires, replace a set of rear brake pads, and help a few others on the road side, but it is good to know that I have most anything I need to do most repairs with me.

• Premium Member
For backup inflation I carry a compact bicycle pump (borrowed from my mountain bike toolkit). Yes, if I get a flat and my CO2 cartridges don't work I'll be pumping for a long time with the hand bicycle pump. But it's simple and guaranteed to work (eventually).

• Premium Member
This might be slightly off topic but I also carry a back-up battery supply that has jumper cables and two USB ports. Slim design. I got it as a Xmas present from my wife. She's a keeper!
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived