Shock Questions

i know suspension has been talked about a lot on here but i am looking to start my suspension upgrades this year. I will most likely get the front forks done my Matt(depending on cost shipping from Canada). I have narrowed done 2 shocks, Ohlins YA335 ($650) or Penske 8983 ($1150 pushing my budget). I will not be doing any tracks days, i mostly do community and once a year 1 week trips so i am not looking to go all out on rear shock but just want to get rid of the crap rear shock and get one suited for my weight and to have a safer and more comfortable ride. So will the budget ohlins do or is it worth paying almost double for the Penske with remote reservoir (i might not even notice the improvement) the savings over the penske almost pay for forks upgrade by Matt.

So looking for feedback from people that have upgraded.

Thanks

Pick the K-Tech Razor Lite over the YA335. Cheaper and better unit. Spending $800+ boils down to how much you ride, how picky you are, and whether or not if the default valving is not to your liking whether or not you're happy to live with it, or want the ability to tune to your liking (to a point). If your roads are gnarly then you will very likely want the ability to tune highspeed comp so you're looking at a Penske double or the Razor-R, or Nitron NTR2, or Ohlins 535 as choices.

IMO buy as much suspension as you can stand. Penske and Ohlins service centers are readily available which may be the tipping point in your selection. I have 3 Lindermann built Penskes (different bikes) and they are very good.

I dont think its easy to get or service K-tech in Canada let alone around Vancouver. Do you sell the k-tech or Nitron Pattonme. Locally around here is mostly Ohlins and Penske from what i can find hence my limited selection without importing from usa with paying more in shipping and boarder fees. I could get things shipped close to boarder and pop over to usa and pickup.

I'm trying out a ZX10 shock before dropping the big $$. I can use the stock FJ spring though, which saves $$. Overall the ZX shock cost about $35, the spring compressor ~$30. With the center stand the FJ rear shock is super easy to remove. Food for thought.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
I will most likely get the front forks done my Matt(depending on cost shipping from Canada). I have narrowed done 2 shocks, Ohlins YA335 ($650) or Penske 8983 ($1150 pushing my budget).
$1150 is WAAAY too expensive for a Penske 8983.  I did a quick Google Search and most places offer them for about $950-$975.  I bought mine a year ago from Traxxion Dynamics during a Black Friday sale, $855 and free shipping. 
They are built to order, sprung for your weight and set up internally for your riding style with full shock dyno charts.  They had it set almost spot on, I only adjusted the comp. and reb. one or two clicks to my preference.

**EDIT** I just realized that you were probably referring to Canadian pricing.  My mistake.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I should of noted i mentioned price in CAN not US. So its about $920 US for the Penske once price converted, the main thing is really if i need to get a shock with an remote reservoir or basic shock as i dont ride two up, dont do track and most roads i ride here are in pretty good condition, i read that the remote reservoir is more for riders that do track. if its a big improvement i would get that over budget shock like the Ohlins YA335, 

• Supporting Member
In all honesty, if you are just doing light duty riding on relatively smooth roads you could probably get by with just some minor surgery to the factory shock. Matts fork mod is outstanding, talk to him about what can be done to the shock by Norwest.  ---> Thread w/ info

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

There are quite a few happy folks here and in fz09-land with the basic Ohlins, K-Tech Razor-Lite or Nitron NTR1, all at 600USD or less. I think there are about a half-dozen (more?) with the reworked OE shock as mentioned by @betoney and it works plenty well.

I have the Penske 8983 Traxxion built it for me. I paid $820 , I got a discount because I know a guy that works there, met him thru the FZ1OA . I like the adjustablity of the shock how the bike feels right for my weight now. I think that is the key to these aftermarket shocks , to have it set up for you weight and riding style and to be have adjustments.

Archived