New Commuter

rtaylor522

Hey everyone,
I'm going to start using my bike as a primary commuter and I'm wondering what to buy for an initial gear set up pants/jacket/boots/gloves. Want to be ATTGATT as it's about 35 miles each way into DC.

Looking to get as many seasons out of my clothes as possible with good armor. I will not start the day out on the bike if it's raining, will just take my truck, but with that in mind, you never know when you'll get stuck. Definitely will be cold weather riding as long as possible, so something modular with multiple linings seems to be the way to go. Just trying to get something versatile to start since I'm buying all at once.

What's everyone using?

It’s pointless me pointing to specific gear as I’m in the UK, but in general:

-install heated grips as this means you can get away with thinner gloves, which gives more feel on the controls
-pick gloves with a waterproof membrane e.g. Alpinestars goretex
- jackets and textile trousers commonly come with zip-out thermal liners, which makes them great for both winter and spring
- get some thin, waterproof trousers that you can put on over your normal ones for the inevitable sh*te weather surprise

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
I have 2 sets of gear. One set is a 3-season jacket and pants, waterproof with removable thermal liners.
The other set is vented summer gear that still has a zip-in rain shell and/or thermal liner. GoreTex gloves for cold weather, and perforated leather for summer.

Even though the 3-season gear has zipper vents it will never move the amount of air that vented summer gear does.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
For commuting you really can't beat Aerostich gear. The R-3 is probably the most versatile because it's unlined. This makes it more comfortable in hot weather, but it's also totally waterproof and you can layer in cool weather.

The R-3 goes on/off over your work clothes in about 10 seconds, it has full armor, and is available in dozens of sizes.

Yes, the Aerostich stuff is expensive, but well worth it. My first Roadcrafter served me 19 years and is still usable, it just looks a little faded. The quality is unmatched and they're hand made in the USA.

I purchased Olympia airglide jacket and overpants last year and love them. The jacket has 3 layers with rain liner being usable under or over the jacket. I wear it outside as a wind breaker over the jacket with thermal liner when it’s cold jacket is great on hot days flow air well. The pants that go with I actually chose first as I wanted something that zipped up high on the leg and was easy to take off with boots on.

I like the Olympia although I'm curious about their armor. It seems subpar compared to Revit and klim. Looking at airglide, klim overland, and there was a Revit I can't remember. Looking for something that will span from 30 to 80...realize I will add on a summer weight jacket at some point. Would like to look for layered pants that will work as over pants.

Settled on the Olympia Airglide 5 today. Upgraded all the armor to D3O CE2 from a Klim Badlands. The dealership I got it from was extremely helpful (JT motorsports Frederick MD) and made sure I got it all cheaper than RevZilla. Let me tell you it was 40 this morning and with an under armor shirt and long sleeve shirt I was very warm (6ft, 240, 2xl perfect fit). Got fitted up for my Arai Signet X as well and they matched the pricing from RevZilla despite changing the inner components to get the fit just right. Lastly settled in on some Alpinestars Gunner WP boots and Sidi gloves from RevZilla. Will review when I get them in. Will provide summer review for Airglide when we get there.

Now, the hunt for the final piece begins....pants.

• Premium Member
Settled on the Olympia Airglide 5 today. Upgraded all the armor to D3O CE2 from a Klim Badlands. The dealership I got it from was extremely helpful (JT motorsports Frederick MD) and made sure I got it all cheaper than RevZilla. Let me tell you it was 40 this morning and with an under armor shirt and long sleeve shirt I was very warm (6ft, 240, 2xl perfect fit). Got fitted up for my Arai Signet X as well and they matched the pricing from RevZilla despite changing the inner components to get the fit just right. Lastly settled in on some Alpinestars Gunner WP boots and Sidi gloves from RevZilla. Will review when I get them in. Will provide summer review for Airglide when we get there.  
Now, the hunt for the final piece begins....pants.
You've made some excellent choices, no doubt at all. That gear should serve you quite well for years to come!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So I have been completely dry and it has been rain every week here in MD. I would consider the first gear pants as the weak spot. They don't leak, but they are quite warm when it's above 80, and they don't really breathe much. Overall it's been a great all weather set up with great protection IMO. Very happy with all equipment.

• Premium Member
Just to add re: Aerostich - I bought mine off Advrider maybe 9 years ago for a little more than half price (about $600 at the time IIRC). Ebay, Advrider, and BMW motorcycle classified markets are good sources. Mine had maybe 20,000 miles on it and one small tear in the liner near an ankle. Just before I bought the FJ in 2015, I sent it in to the company for a reconditioning after a mid speed (maybe 30 mph?) crash. It is my go-to protection for touring, long day rides, and commuting in anything less than perfect weather. The R3 would probably be a better piece of kit for me now, but they didn't exist when I bought this jacket.

I will also add that I'm impressed with how long good motorcycle gear can last. I bought my Spidi leathers in 2003. 2 crashes. One repair. Maintenance and one professional reconditioning. And I still did a track day in them last year.

My Teknic jackets from 2003 and 2009 are also holding up well with just routine cleaning.

Archived