New to me FJ

rtaylor522

I bought a used FJ 09 from a fellow who bought it new in November. It has 1500 miles now and seems to run great. A couple of questions:
1. Local Yam dealer said there is an SB for cam tensioner. Said it's free to have done, and that mine has not been. Is it worth it or do I run the risk of them messing more up?

2. What is this ECU flash I hear about and why?

3. When on centerstand and running in neutral back tire spins slowly....pull clutch and it stops....normal?

4. What other craziness do I have to look out for?

0. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the FJ. Its a fantastic bike, you're gonna love it. Its a total mystery why someone would only put 1500 miles on it then sell. They must not like fun haha!

1. Get the cam chain tensioner replaced. If it fails, it will wreck your entire motor and that won't be covered.

2. The throttle response can be smoothed out and recover some performance gains across the entire power band.

3. Normal.

4. clutch cable will break, get the updated one from a 2017. Also ask your dealership about the handlebar recall. If you even glance at a fire road, the oil pan will crack. Higdonion makes a great cage and is good forum supporter. I have the urban and the one time I went down a fire road, it saved my bacon.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
@koth442 covered it nicely. Ride it for awhile, get a feel for any quirks then ask questions. Pretty much any issues with the bike have been addressed in these forums.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
The ECU flash will be a big bang for the buck! There are a lot of settings that can be customized but you need to change them via an ECU flash. 2Wheel Dyno Works is a vendor on the board who can help you with the Flash, although there are others as well. It was the most impactful of any of the upgrades I made to mine.

I also changed the windscreen, added mirror extenders, and replaced my seat.

It's weird that a bike just purchased new in November didn't have the Cam Chain Tensioner resolved. I would have thought that all the old 2015's were fixed. You might want to check with the original selling dealer and validate that it hasn't already been fixed.

David,
Spoke to the local dealer and he ran the VIN. Could see the dates and name of dealership that did the recalls, but he said the cam tensioner was a service bulletin therefore not mandatory, so it looked like the dealer (B&B - Lancaster PA) had just skipped it. Either way he said bring it by and they would do it for free. I will get that done and grab a clutch cable before I'm stranded as it's a daily commuter.

0. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the FJ. Its a fantastic bike, you're gonna love it. Its a total mystery why someone would only put 1500 miles on it then sell. They must not like fun haha! 
1. Get the cam chain tensioner replaced. If it fails, it will wreck your entire motor and that won't be covered.

2. The throttle response can be smoothed out and recover some performance gains across the entire power band.

3. Normal.

4. clutch cable will break, get the updated one from a 2017. Also ask your dealership about the handlebar recall. If you even glance at a fire road, the oil pan will crack. Higdonion makes a great cage and is good forum supporter. I have the urban and the one time I went down a fire road, it saved my bacon.

0. Probably realized its expensive  B-|  
4. Glance at a fire road (rofl) (rofl)  I can't wait to beat on the trail cage.

0. Only vehicle he had living in DC in the winter and decided a car might be a better choice. Plus it was parked outside all winter (under a cover) he said. So it has a little oxidizing on a few spots. Nothing that can't be addressed....I am going to change the brake fluid though.

Archived