Garmin Zumo 595LM

• Premium Member
I’ve got the 665 (I thing that’s what it is... or 660). It’s has all those extra wires. I just bundled them together under the seat. They’ve been under there for two years now. No problems.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I’ve got the 665 (I thing that’s what it is... or 660). It’s has all those extra wires. I just bundled them together under the seat. They’ve been under there for two years now. No problems.
That's kind of what I was thinking.  My old 550 was connected to switched power behind the windshield.  Wanted to do that again, but the connectors would be exposed if I went that route.  Maybe I can find some rubber caps to go over them.  I don't want to have to take the tank off if I don't have to.

• Premium Member
I used a little relay triggered by the tag light to power mine. It came out of a wrecked ford truck in the junkyard. It fits between my he battery and it’s foam spacer.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I used a little relay triggered by the tag light to power mine. It came out of a wrecked ford truck in the junkyard. It fits between my he battery and it’s foam spacer.
I have a switched fuse block under the passenger seat that I can use if I decide to go that route.  It's just that the power leads in the front are so much more accessible.  That said, I'll probably go ahead and remove the tank in order to route the wires to the back.

• Premium Member
I didn't remove the tank to run the wiring. I removed the right side panel that likes to crack and ran the wiring along the frame. It's worked fine for two years.
  • Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I didn't remove the tank to run the wiring. I removed the right side panel that likes to crack and ran the wiring along the frame. It's worked fine for two years.
Sounds like a good plan.
  • Thumbsup 1

I'm in the middle of fitting my 660 to my new Tracer. Basically I've chopped the 2 Audio and 1 USB leads off about 1" from the splitter and shrink wrapped the ends over. Cut the power lead to about 3 inches long and fitted a matching socket and pins off ebay for one of the switched spares behind the headlight. I'll hopefully be looking at installing on the bike this evening..... I'd run the thing with the full harness 'neatly' bundled under the seat of the previous Guzzi for about 30k miles with no ill effects while it was wired directly to the battery, but there's a lot of no value (to me) harness to lose behind the headlight on this bike.

• Premium Member
I ended up removing the side panel and running the power leads behind it back to my switched fuse block. TRS connectors under the seat and the USB doubled back to the GPS mount.

The 595 is a nice unit, but I don't understand why Garmin veered away from incorporating the extra connectors into the GPS mount. The Zumo 550 arrangement was much better in that regard, IMO. I also miss the ability to lock the GPS to the mount, which is not a feature of the 595.

I just mounted my Garmin 595LM tonight. I appreciate all the advice here.

I chose to route the wires under the fake carbon fiber trim piece as others had mentioned. It looks great! I left the tangle of wires wrapped under the seat. Clean and easy install. This is my first motorcycle GPS and with my propensity for getting lost it is a most welcome addition.

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member

After reading of the damage that can can be caused to phones (I have an android) from rain, heat, vibration or falls, I have decided to purchase a Garmin 595LM. Is the included mount that comes in the box adequate on the FJ or is a different mount recommended?

https://youtu.be/nncwIMVXeqQ

Garmin Stock mount.jpg