Garmin Zumo 595LM

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

After reading of the damage that can can be caused to phones (I have an android) from rain, heat, vibration or falls, I have decided to purchase a Garmin 595LM. Is the included mount that comes in the box adequate on the FJ or is a different mount recommended?

https://youtu.be/nncwIMVXeqQ

If it comes with a Ram ball mount then all you will need is the other end to attach it to the bike. 

I don't own the Zumo but the only 'issue' I have seen/heard about the unit is all of the excess cables need to be stashed somewhere.  With the updated Zumo XT version they streamlined the wiring bundle. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

With the updated Zumo XT version they streamlined the wiring bundle. 

I looked at both and the only advantage the XT had was the improved screen definition. With the XT they dropped some features I like, such as the TPMS. The price drop on the 595LM  makes it more attractive. 

I've been reviewing some you tube videos showing how to tidy up/modify the cable bundle. Probably go that route.

Hope to find an old powered mount and remove all but the power cable for hard install. I would use the stock powered mount for updates etc.

• Like 1

Having had both the 595LM (which came off the mount and bounced a few times on the pavement), and the Zumo XT, I wouldn't buy the 595LM.  It isn't just screen resolution that improved, but the brightness as well.

Battery life is far better on the Zumo XT, which you'll say doesn't matter if I have it plugged in on the bike.  But I've often sat down at breakfast with a cup of coffee and programmed in my day's ride.  It helps to have a bit of battery life.

The 595LM was great when it first came out...but the Zumo XT is better.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

The TPMS on the 595LM is a big draw for me, not sure why that was discontinued in the XT. I also like the fact that the battery is removable/replaceable in the 595LM. I think that will help with long term ownership, even though I do plan on hardwiring. I'm sure the faster processer on the XT would be great for recalculating missed turns etc, but I usually like to plan my day out.

XT 'V' 595LM

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:11 AM, Heli ATP said:

After reading of the damage that can can be caused to phones (I have an android) from rain, heat, vibration or falls, I have decided to purchase a Garmin 595LM. Is the included mount that comes in the box adequate on the FJ or is a different mount recommended?

https://youtu.be/nncwIMVXeqQ

Garmin Stock mount.jpg

That will work, but I ended up with one of these replacing one of the handlebar clamp bolts:

phpDQtE5c.jpg

img_0401-rotated.jpg

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/electronics/phone-and-gps-mounts/mount-bases/ram-motorcycle-base-w-hole-m8-screw/

Edited by mellow
  • Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have the Madstad Windscreen, so this may not work for everyone.  I bolted a standard ball mount directly to the Madstad plate (on the inside of the screen), and connected the GPS bracket to the ball mount. It is a very clean installation, and gets the GPS up high, so I don't have to look down when navigating.

GPS Mount.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 2.28.03 PM.png

• Thumbsup 3