Quick rant about service at dealerships

Just need to vent. My fj threw a cel last summer at about 1500 miles about 4 months after buying the bike, now at 3k miles. The bike went into full limp mode when the cel popped but after pulling over and turning it off and on has been fine ever since. Obviously I would like to get this fixed at least before the upcoming riding season. I have literally had to call at least 4 dealerships just to find one that wasn't completely rude to me over the phone and had just the tiniest bit of class and professionalism which is absolutely ridiculous. Finally I got a hold of one a little over an hour away that I'm going to take the fj to tomorrow. And even they are saying possibly they will charge me $30 to diagnose the cel! On a brand new bike! I am taken aback at how awful yamaha dealership service departments are in my area and it has completely dissuaded me from ever wanting to buy another yamaha. /rant
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
Just need to vent. My fj threw a cel last summer at about 1500 miles about 4 months after buying the bike, now at 3k miles. The bike went into full limp mode when the cel popped but after pulling over and turning it off and on has been fine ever since. Obviously I would like to get this fixed at least before the upcoming riding season. I have literally had to call at least 4 dealerships just to find one that wasn't completely rude to me over the phone and had just the tiniest bit of class and professionalism which is absolutely ridiculous. Finally I got a hold of one a little over an hour away that I'm going to take the fj to tomorrow. And even they are saying possibly they will charge me $30 to diagnose the cel! On a brand new bike! I am taken aback at how awful yamaha dealership service departments are in my area and it has completely dissuaded me from ever wanting to buy another yamaha. /rant

Why don’t you take it to the dealership where you bought it?

Let’s go Brandon

Why don’t you take it to the dealership where you bought it?
Meant to mention in the original post that was one of the first places I called, they were extremely rude and said maybe they could hook it up to an obd scanner in 3 weeks. Awesome to know that my spending $13k cash there means nothing!
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

Your bike isn't under warranty??

Also 9 times out of 10 when a brand new FJ throws a code it's an ABS sensor...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I don't know what a cel is but I agree, Yamaha dealers suck. I have a posted to a couple threads about the shiite dealer service departments. I'm not likely to ever buy another Japanese motorcycle because of the lack of quality service at a reasonable price. In fact I will likely not buy any motorcycle again. If you don't work on your own bike you get toasted by the dealers. That and how dull the Japanese build bikes. I have never owned a car I needed to replace the upholstery, windshield, brakes, suspension, and re-map the ECU. Then rationalize it as the price you pay to play.

Your bike isn't under warranty?? 
Also 9 times out of 10 when a brand new FJ throws a code it's an ABS sensor...
Absolutely under warranty which is why my struggles with getting it in to get serviced without paying money is baffling. I even foolishly bought the YES warranty which after this whole deal I would love a refund on.

I don't know what a cel is but I agree, Yamaha dealers suck. I have a posted to a couple threads about the shiite dealer service departments. I'm not likely to ever buy another Japanese motorcycle because of the lack of quality service at a reasonable price. In fact I will likely not buy any motorcycle again. If you don't work on your own bike you get toasted by the dealers. That and how dull the Japanese build bikes. I never bought a car in the last 20 years I needed to replace the upholstery, windshield, brakes, suspension, and re-map the ECU. Then rationalize it as the price you pay to play.
CEL is a Check Engine Light. So far I have done all my own work on the bike it hasn't even been to a dealer yet. Only reason I am trying to take it in is I do not have a scanner tool that can access the fj and they hosed us '17 owners with not being able to access diagnostics through the MFI. And ya know its a new bike under warranty and all should not be that hard but apparently that's not the case.

Do a search on the forum for obd... you can read and erase codes yourself with the right equipment.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I’d ride the bike to where I bought it and show them the light. They should take care of it right then since you bought it from them and it’s new.
Your experience with “Japanese” dealerships is the exact opposite of mine.

Let’s go Brandon

Do a search on the forum for obd... you can read and erase codes yourself with the right equipment.
On a 2017? Everything I've read has said it's not that easy, already have the full laptop obd hookup setup for the vw really don't wanna go down that rabbit hole again.

I’d ride the bike to where I bought it and show them the light. They should take care of it right then since you bought it from them and it’s new. Your experience with “Japanese” dealerships is the exact opposite of mine.
Dealership I bought it from is almost 2 hours away so I can't exactly do that. Nearest one to me is about 45 minutes away and after talking to them on the phone I don't wanna go anywhere near it, reviews of the place online seem to confirm my suspicions that it is to be avoided.

• Premium Member
I will say that every time I’ve had my bike serviced at the dealership I’ve gotten a survey email asking about my experience. I’ve used 3 different dealerships because of convenience and warranty. Yamaha takes those surveys seriously. An acquaintance works at the closest one to me. He told me that if their shop doesn’t get the highest scores Yamaha lets them know.

Let’s go Brandon

I will say that every time I’ve had my bike serviced at the dealership I’ve gotten a survey email asking about my experience. I’ve used 3 different dealerships because of convenience and warranty. Yamaha takes those surveys seriously. An acquaintance works at the closest one to me. He told me that if their shop doesn’t get the highest scores Yamaha lets them know.
I have owned three (3) Tracers.   One purchased from one dealership I'd never deal with again for anything, the other two from another business. 
In all that time and with all these purchases (including services) I have never had any form of communication from a dealer or Yamaha Australia's HQ asking about my buying experiences, etc.   I spent a lifetime in retailing and reckon that I know a bit about customer service.   Generalising, the motorcycle trade here - irrespective of brand by and large - is about the worst you could find in terms of 'service', worse even than the banks, which is saying a great deal. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
That is my experience as well.  And after the survey, when I am in there BS'ing, the owner thanks me for completing the survey and tells me that Yamaha informs them of the score, good or bad. 
Not all dealers suck, I understand that some do, Ive just been fortunate to have positive experiences, regardless of bike brand.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Picked up the bike last night. CEL was something about a fuel system failure. Stealership still almost tried to charge me $30 when I went to pick it up... SMH.

Archived