• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Downsizing from ST1300

nccanuck

No longer taking long trips and ST is too big to continue doing the short runs and commute. Looking at the FJ-09 and it seems to be a good option. Really appreciate all the comments and knowledge on this forum. I feel I know a lot about the bike before I have even ridden it. Only concern is seat height. I am 5’7” with 29” inseam. On the balls of feet with ST. Lighter FJ should be easier if I am not on my toes. Test riding one on Tuesday. If I like it and they give me a decent trade value will buy it.
https://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/inventory/2015-yamaha-fj-09-matthews-nc-28105-1946352i

Looked at several others in area. Found a new 2016 for $1300 more but from what I have read here there is no real difference other than oil pan issue.

Let me know if you think the 2016 would be worth the additional $$.

Steve

• Premium Member
No longer taking long trips and ST is too big to continue doing the short runs and commute. Looking at the FJ-09 and it seems to be a good option. Really appreciate all the comments and knowledge on this forum. I feel I know a lot about the bike before I have even ridden it. Only concern is seat height. I am 5’7” with 29” inseam. On the balls of feet with ST. Lighter FJ should be easier if I am not on my toes. Test riding one on Tuesday. If I like it and they give me a decent trade value will buy it. https://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/inventory/2015-yamaha-fj-09-matthews-nc-28105-1946352i

Looked at several others in area. Found a new 2016 for $1300 more but from what I have read here there is no real difference other than oil pan issue.

Steve
There are reasonably priced fixes for most (if not all) of the issues found between 2015 and 2016 models. Save the cash and only fix the things you think are important. The extra money will let you fit it the way you want.

I am 5’7” with 29” inseam. On the balls of feet with ST. Lighter FJ should be easier if I am not on my toes. Test riding one on Tuesday. Steve
I'm about your size and have exactly the same problem with my ST (which is why I'm here).  On Tuesday, ask the dealer if there are lower seat options or even if he knows about aftermarket lowering options.  I'm not really a fan of changing the rear shock to lower the bike - it tends to reduce clearance and alter the handling. 

• Supporting Member
What David said. I'm short like you and will slide to one side of the seat or the other and get 1 solid food down in winds. Otherwise I tippy-toe it.

^^I agree with this^^

With a 34" inseam I can certainly flat-foot it with both feet but I never do, I always have one foot planted and the other on the foot peg.  Personal preference I guess, probably from decades of dirt riding on off camber hill sides and weighting the outside peg.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
The original seat has a high or low position, low drops it about an inch.

Custom seats such as Russell or Terry Adcox (sp?) can address this too.

I have a 30" inseam and cannot flat-foot it with the seat in either location. I prefer to run it in the high setting for distance to the pegs and am tip-toed when stopped. The bike is so much lighter than my ST1100 that this usually isn't an issue.

Found a new 2016 for $1300 more but from what I have read here there is no real difference other than oil pan issue.  

Steve
I just sold my 2003 ST 1300 and bought a 2016 FJ w 3,100 miles on the clock.  I paid $7,300 and it came with side bags, Givi tank bag, and a "comfort" seat. 
I've added RG front fender extender, Parabellum 26" windscreen, and Airhawk seat pad.

Bike looked new and I liked low-mileage.  But....

There is a new FJ GT model due for release in U.S. in the Fall you might want to consider. Addresses lots of issues w current FJ and includes cruise control.  But a lot more $$ than a used model ($12k?).

IMHO:  It should drive down prices of used FJs since it includes so many improvements.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Archived