Got an FJ

kw86er

I snooped around this forum for a few months before I got my FJ. Got an old stock 2017. First thing I did when I got it home was take the goofy hand guards off. I can't imagine anybody leaving them on if they ever had a real set of off road hand guards in the past. The stock ones are toys. Plus they make the bike look like a transformer. I put the Barkbusters VPS on instead. The colour isn't an exact match but works pretty good. I like the shape the best however the branding could be toned down a bit. The screen is the Puig racing screen which is also allot better than the stock one. It puts my helmet into clean air, covers my shoulders on high and get a bit of air through my mesh on low. 

I love the bike so far. Headed out on 2 week long trip this Wed. Gonna break it in hard and ride it like it's stolen. 
Anyway thanks to everyone on the forum. It was a big help to read all the posts before buying...

k

IMG-0287.jpgIMG-0289.jpg

• Supporting Member
@kw86er   Nice looking bike, I think you are going to love it. 

Since the bike is brand new and you are leaving on a 2 week ride, make sure to ride it a bit then do an initial oil change to get the particles out of the engine BEFORE putting a few thousand miles on it.

Also, since you have the VPS hand guards you can buy Running and Indicator Lights for added visibility.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I like my transformer hand guards! haha. 
Welcome to the forum, that's a nice bike you've got. I do like the white.
I agree on the hand guards. The FJ-09 isn't an "off-road" bike...never was many to be, never will be. It's a light sport-touring bike, with emphasis on the "sport" (as opposed to the FJR"s "touring" emphasis), and the stock hand guards follow with that sporty look. I did, however, make one slight "styling" change to their positioning - upon installing the Puig Touring Windscreen, in regards to the included brackets (for repositioning the outer hand guard pieces), instead of positioning them straight out, I positioned them in a slightly upward positron, which not only moved them outward (so as to not make contact with the windscreen, which is what they're designed to prevent), but also positioned them slightly higher, giving a more sporty, and even greater "transformer" look.

Every bike I own is an off road bike at some point. But I understand, if you stick to the paved stuff and just want a little wind protection then they function. I do think the bike has an off-road aesthetic with the hand guards and in that respect I consider them to be kinda fake... but then so is the appearance of being "off road". I ride dirt bikes so it's just how I see it. I have never had hand guards on a street bike before so the wind protection aspect doesn't really matter much to me. I road this bike a few hundred km's without and liked it just fine. I like the look of the barkbusters and once I get my skid plate installed... she will be doing some gravel running. I'll look into the ABS sensor mod.

"make sure to ride it a bit then do an initial oil change to get the particles out of the engine" The first leg of the trip will be to some land I own in WA where I am hanging out for a few days. I planned on doing an oil change there. What's the best oil? HAHA just kidding.

• Supporting Member
What's the best oil? HAHA just kidding
Malicious instigation on your second post? I like your style... :)

Welcome and enjoy your FJ. It’s a great bike, with or without the handguards.

After a year, I removed the handguard wind deflector fairing extensions and doubt I will ever re-install them. Open handlebar more like a standard. I also rotated e en lower than before, so sit further off the tank, slight forward lean. Gives a sense of less bulk up front.

Archived