Suspension Research

gabefzr6

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ULEWZ,

The fork oil volume I mentioned earlier came from the service manual. I suppose oil level in both legs should be the same but the right leg's has more internal part and hence the lesser oil volume to achieve same oil level. I forgot to measure the oil level when it was taken apart, bummer!

The info on ohlins site should be a good start but bear in mind that it is for MT09/FZ09, which has much lighter damping than Tracer/FJ09.

There is noticeable improvement in handling.
Thanks for the report!  It sounds like I need to go ahead and get a service manual to fill in some of the blanks for installation procedure.

Mine was done at a motorcycle shop and even that they don't have that one special tool that could retrive the spring assembly and need to make one on the spot.

It is a really deep 10mm fine thread nut that screw onto the top thread part of the spring assembly. Sorry can't describe it better becasue I didn't quite grasp it when my mechanic explained to me XD

Guest bmidd
A few articles during my research stated Yamaha increased damping by 3 X. That would explain the different part numbers. The high-speed (big bump) compression damping on this stock shock is brutal ! It seems to do well on little ripples, especially in corners. 
I'm a Penske guy, Traxxion is checking length and compatibility vs. the FZ09 or if they have an application for this new bike yet. I will most likely do the 8983 as the 8981's I own do a fantastic job with little fiddling.

Subscribed to see what is found here.
I'm dropping my bike off @ Traxxion today so they can do some research.

Guest bmidd
Bike is there!! Going with the Penske 8983 and AK20's in the front end.
Let us know the cost, turn around time, and how the bike rides with the new suspenders!
AK20's are $1199 and the 8983 is $925. Hopefully they will do a group buy like they did on the FZ-09 for the first 5 riders. If interested let me know and I will ask Lee if they will do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I too come from the FZ1OA(Redflash) & will be going the Traxxion route. Lee has helped set up both my current FZ1 & previous FJR. Used to go exhaust & engine mods first but have found suspension really is the difference in making any bike work well.

Guest bmidd
Received word today that my forks are done and remounted on the bike and the rear shock from Penske should be here any day. Hopefully next week it will be ready because the week after that I go on vacation for a week and won't be home to enjoy it!

Count me in for a group buy. Don't have any experience with Traxxion, but have heard god things other places also.

Traxxion is a vendor on the FZ-07 Forums. I'm talking to them about becoming one here, so maybe hold off on the group buy? They give my members on the FZ-07 forum a healthy discount and am trying to work that our here too so that everyone can get a good price.

Archived