Another GT joining the forum

Hi Guys

I just recently received my Phantom Blue Tracer GT. I really liked the black and white one, but the blue rims screamed 1990's to me.
I previously had a XSR900, but it was not so comfortable for touring, which is what I do most when riding a motorcycle. 

From the XSR900 I knew what flaws it had. Worst is the vibration at 4500-5500rpm and I was really wondering if I should buy another bike with the same flaw. The vibration was a killer for me, on the XSR900, and probably also what made me sell it and loose a lot of money. (I lost a bit over $10000 Usd in two years. Bike prices are crazy in Denmark).

So I thought long and hard about other bikes. Suzuki V-strom, Kawasaki Versys etc. was in the picture.. But I had been stupid to borrow a Ténéré 1200 when the XSR was in the shop, and the real cruise control it had... I just knew I had to have that!
BMWs new F850 GS was really interesting - until I received the price list. Starting price of the bike was around $500 less than the GT (at around $25333) but it was without any options.. With LED headlight, cruise control, ESA suspension and all the cool stuff, I would have to pay around $12000 extra. Did I mention that vehicles are expensive in Denmark? :-)

If I could chose without thinking of money, my garage would probably have a KTM Superduke GT in it. But in the end I chose the Tracer GT. It's affordable, has all the options I wanted etc! It's really good for the it is.
This is the first time I choose a bike with my brain rather than my heart. I hope I will love the bike after a while :-)

And I'm quite lucky with vibration. Because of the cruise control I don't feel it as much.

The bike has already been broken down - with less than 20km on the odometer!
Yamaha had mounted the ABS sensor on the front wheel wrong, so a spacer was keeping the sensor away from the ABS ring. So already after 17km the bike made an ABS error on the freeway, and went into "limb mode". Not very fun, but my dealer was great about it :)

I have already modified the bike: 

Risers: I have the original risers. Great quality product. Made by Gilles Racing, AFAIK. It's just a PITA to adjust it. Took some time to find the right angle.

Flashers: I have had the LED plus flashers installed. Daylight Running Light on the front and brake light on the rear. Looks great and makes me seen more. 

Tank bag: Installed a quick release ring and a SW moth Yukon tank bag.

GPS: Also fitted the old TomTom Rider 410 GPS.
Everything just barely fits: https://i.imgur.com/Oep0o7r.jpg

The factory wind shield is just really really bad. Lots of noise and buffeting. I'm getting tinnitus even with earplugs. So I ordered the new MRA touring screen, with a varioscreen. Waiting for it to arrive.

I have also ordered a new seat, since the original one had some weird pointy bumps at the back, causing me to ache after a while. I ordered the Sargent Cycle seat and I really hope it will arrive before my vacation. 

Foot pegs: changing the small metal footpegs for rubberised FJR1300 footpegs. They are much more comfortable.

Nobody probably read all the way to the end.. so this is a perfect place to tell you guys, that I always write lots of stuff.
I hope to use the forum to gain knowledge about the bike and to help others out. 

TL;DR: Bought new bike. Hello. :-)

• Supporting Member
@andersh Welcome and congratulations on the new Tracer GT, thanks for pointing out what some of us were suspecting, - New isn't necessarily improved. Just because it received a new redesigned screen and seat doesn't mean its going to work better.
The good news is, a few flaws doesn't overall detract from a great bike, most things can be modified or swapped out.
I will be curious to hear your opinions on the new Bridgestone T31 tires once you get some miles on them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome @andersh. Yours is the second bike this week with front ABS wrongly mounted! Worrying lack of dealer technician training.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thank you BBB and koth442!

From what I understood, the only thing the dealer mounted when the bike arrived was the vindscreen and battery (and fluids). Otherwise the bike is assembled at the factory. And even though I had the tires changed before picking up the bike, they shouldn't have to mess with the abs sensor...

The dealer fixed it very fast, so I'm not that disappointed

Sorry I didnt even see your comment betoney . I can write a review of the T31 when I have some more kilometers on them. I will probably compare them to the Metzeler Roadtec 01 that I had on the XSR900. Those were really impressive, both in rain and dry, very good grip. They only lasted quite good!

• Supporting Member
And even though I had the tires changed before picking up the bike, they shouldn't have to mess with the abs sensor...

True, the ABS sensor is mounted to the bottom the fork, but if they put the wheel on backwards then the speed ring is on the opposite side of the sensor.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My 2015 had the same thing... there was a spacer on the ABS sensor which caused it to be too far from the ring. I wonder if they do that to avoid damage to the sensor and the dealer is supposed to remove??

Also, I always remove the sensor when removing the wheel... the clearance is too close for my comfort. So I think it's possible that the dealer pulled the ABS sensor when changing the tires. On the '15s it is mounted on a spacer between the left fork and wheel.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks for the pics and explanation. Now all I need is for my dealer to get me a bike to buy so I can actually ride it instead of obsessively reading about it. :)

Keep us posted on your experience with your GT.

kennydies: yes. The risers are made by Gilles Tooling and can be bought directly from the original Yamaha accessories. Link to english language site: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-900-gt.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=2PP-FHBRS-00-00&year=2018

I haven't received the MRA screen yet. MRA is old fashioned and won't send me the screen because they have a Danish distributor.
What it means to me, the customer, is that instead of them sending the the item from Germany directly to my home in Denmark, they ship the item to the Danish distributor, and he then ships the item to me. What a waste of time and energy. And for only $50 USD on top of what the screen was priced in Germany..

I hope PUIG handles that kind of thing better :)

Archived