Can MT 09 Tracer can fit parts from Tracer GT

naskimura

• Supporting Member
I would think that the shock and heated grips should fit, the CC unit might be a nightmare converting to the older bike though.
Other than having a remote preload adjuster, I would be willing to bet that the shock itself is the same low budget unit.

One part that has me curious as far as backward compatibility is the longer swingarm from the GT. Of course you would need several link longer chain, but that longer wheel base could possibly cure come riders stability issues.
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I would think that the shock and heated grips should fit, the CC unit might be a nightmare converting to the older bike though. Other than having a remote preload adjuster, I would be willing to bet that the shock itself is the same low budget unit.

One part that has me curious as far as backward compatibility is the longer swingarm from the GT. Of course you would need several link longer chain, but that longer wheel base could possibly cure come riders stability issues.
I'm just guessing here, but I think that the frame and engine on the FZ09/MT09, FJ09/Tracer 900 and XSR900 / GT is the same! It would be logic to save the parts and only have so few different parts as necessary. So the part of the frame where the swing arm attaches is probably the same on all bikes (I'm still guessing :)

I would think that the shock and heated grips should fit, the CC unit might be a nightmare converting to the older bike though. Other than having a remote preload adjuster, I would be willing to bet that the shock itself is the same low budget unit.

Longer swingarm it´s just the unit used on 16-17police bikes , AKA direct swap

I’m curious about the bars and side fairings for better wind protection. I got my fj09 for 6999 and would probably only get $4500 on trade. I love the GT but I don’t think there’s quite enough to warrant $8,500 for me.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...

yeah, save ya dollars, ride the wheels off the older model and not be so worried about no cruise control, buy a plastic clamp for the throttle on long stretches to get feeling back in your hand. as for the swingarm, sure a longer one is better but the old one doesnt cause the death wobbles either. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

There are aftermarket cruise control units for the older FJ09 models, MCCruise I think was the vendor I used. I had the 2015 FJ09, and upgraded to the 2020 Tracer GT. While there are a few items that only come on the Tracer, I had already added most of the of those items on my old FJ09.  (including Cruise Control)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually done the OEM heated grips?   Physically wouldn't seem to be a problem, but the 2019 GT ones look to be controlled off the menu (ECU?) and the wiring harness looks to be different between the GT and the regular 900.  IE can they be plugged directly in to the harness and will the "software" actually control them?

1 hour ago, Danielblue said:

Has anyone actually done the OEM heated grips

Yes, I fitted the Yamaha heated grips,they were an easy fit and control through the menu was automatic and works really well. 10 different heat outputs  can programmed for the 3 settings with the menu. Only issue I had was my fault, I refitted the original bolt for the bar ends which was a slightly different shape to the one supplied with the grips. First time I used them the thermal expansion effect acted like a throttle lock and overcame the throttle return spring. Was nice to have the cruise controll effect for that ride out. Easily sorted with the proper bolt.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

What year wheels are compatible with models from 2015 - 2021. Will 20 GT wheels fit on an earlier FJ-09 and visa versa?

The rear wheel from all years that had ABS FJ/MT/XSR/Tracer and GT are interchangeable and should fit any of the bikes, the front wheel might be a little different as the ABS sensor changed locations right to left between different years and the '14-'16 FZ09 didn't have ABS.

I don't know anything about the '21 bikes though.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***