New member from Arizona

abuelo

New member here from the central Arizona desert, and I'm contemplating trading for a Tracer 900GT.  Age is 73 and I've been riding for 23 years.  Started with a Honda 750 Nighthawk and then Hondas until 2007, a Goldwing, VT1100, and a VTX1300.  After hitting the asphalt on the VTX been riding Harleys, a Dyna I really liked but which wore out, and most recently a Sportster as I wasn't sure just what I wanted to replace the Dyna with.  Still don't, but I'm looking at the 900GT and a Suzuki SV650.

Interest is towards solo distance riding, and the Sporty hasn't been the best for that.  Have kids and grands on each coast, the nearest 1,500 miles away, and in the past preferred riding to either driving or flying.  Being able to do a 400 mile day and still be functional is acceptable, and I'm at the "If not now, when?" stage.  My leisure time is shared between motorcycling and build/flying heritage RC aircraft.

I know the difference between fast and quick, and the need for speed is long past.  I look for reasonable comfort as the "essence of motorcycling" is more important than outright comfort.  I can take my cage for that.  What I hope to find here is honest evaluations of various aspects of the 900GT, and I will contribute as appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I owned a SV650, and while a fun and great bang for the buck bike it doesn’t match my FJ-09 for touring practicality or comfort, and the 900GT might be better with the longer wheelbase. Do your research but my vote, as a big SV650 fan, is the Yamaha.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Couldn't agree more with Rusty.  The SV is one of the most fun bikes I've owned. Bullet proof V-twin, nimble and very perky.  But, (and your physical size is the wildcard here), my 60 year old, 6-1" 220 lb. body could not do more than 150-200 miles a day.  And that's pressing it.  You'll do well with the Tracer.  My FJ is sort of a culmination of my past bikes - taking all the "likes" and combining them into one.  And, the advantage of lots of aftermarket bolt-ons too. 

SV2.jpg

FJ8pg_1.jpg

• Premium Member
I've also been very curious of the SV650. Are there any situations it might do better than the fj (e.g. shorter suburb commute, doubling as a nice track bike)? It's only 30 lb lighter, so is it more nimble because it carries its weight lower?

I'm 69 and have had my Trace 900GT for about a month and have almost 3000 miles on it. I came from a BMW R1200 GSA and a BMW F800R. I wanted to cull the herd and go down to 1 road bike. I also have a Yamaha WR250R for dual sport stuff.
I did a couple of 350 mile days in the Texas 100 degree heat and didn't have any problems. I did buy the Yamaha touring windshield for a trip to NM from San Antonio. I use the stock windshield for day rides.
I do miss the range of the GSA for long trips but it also made the GSA very heavy.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• Premium Member
siegman I had that same SV 2nd gen model in the blue. I added an M4 exhaust. It was the first bike I purchased new and together we learned much & shared good times. Traded her in on a new Street Tripke R.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

siegman I had that same SV 2nd gen model in the blue. I added an M4 exhaust. It was the first bike I purchased new and together we learned much & shared good times. Traded her in on a new Street Tripke R.
Gotta love the blue.  I sold this SV to my son who unfortunately laid it down after hitting some loose gravel. It was too much to repair, and he sold it "as is" to a young man that converted it into a track bike.  He has been very competitive the last two years. The SV was a kick! 

I've also been very curious of the SV650. Are there any situations it might do better than the fj (e.g. shorter suburb commute, doubling as a nice track bike)? It's only 30 lb lighter, so is it more nimble because it carries its weight lower?
It does sit lower and would be more suited for urban commuting. The V-twin makes it very balanced and narrow - hence the response and handling.  I know of 4 guys who've taken their SV's and started racing. The 650 makes a great starter track bike and inexpensive to maintain. For over the long haul, I'm very pleased with the FJ.

The 900 Tracer GT may be the better choice especially if you plan to travel- with cruise control and luggage, not to mention what I would think is the better riding position over the SV. 

Leaning that way, but right now there doesn't seem to be any available in dealerships or individually.  I can wait. 
Bill

Bill, where in the valley are you? Im on the west side in Avondale. Let me know if you wanna meet for a beer and I'll give my opinions on the bike! And if you want to take mine for a spin, you're welcome to.
Thanks, Zach.  Appreciate the offers. 
I'm in no particular hurry as my current ride is fine for now.  I'm looking ahead to next spring and summer.

I'm in Tempe on the Tempe/Mesa border.  Might be in contact earlier as I may be looking at a different bike that's for sale down along the Estrella Parkway.

Bill

I currently own both, a 1st Gen SV650 which I’ve had since new, and am sneaking up on six digits on the odometer, and a 2015 FJ-09 that I just recently bought. Clearly the FJ is the better bike of the two, and the new GT would be that much better. They’re both great all around bikes, with the FJ being the overall winner, hands down.

That having been said, I do prefer the SV on some occasions. When commuting in traffic, I prefer the SV. It is more compact and much narrower, and sits lower, which means I can lane split much better. The FJ has me calculating clearance between my mirrors/handlebars and trucks/SUV’s. I hardly have to think about fitting in between lanes.

I find the SV to be a little bit more nimble, so I prefer it whenever I go on super technical goat trails. Not to say the FJ is a slouch, it’s not, it’s just that I have the luxury of choice so I can pick between an excellent tool and an excellent +1 tool.

The SV throttle response is a bit easier to manage, so I prefer it in town where there will be lots of stop signs and stop lights. By this I mean that if I turn the SV’s throttle 1/4 turn or 1/3 turn, the difference isn’t that much. On the FJ that’s the difference between a speedy start and my front tire lifting. The FJ requires a little bit more respect when applying throttle. The SV is much more forgiving.

But for overall riding, especially on open roads, curvy backroads, and freeway slogs, there’s not even a question, the FJ far outshines the SV. And I mean by far. So unlike the situations where I prefer the SV, but the FJ is almost, almost as good, the situations I prefer the FJ, the SV can’t compete.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Archived