Loon Lake

fr8dog

• Premium Member
@redfjniner and @koth442

I have been on Wentworth and lower Ice House a few times and have done Ice House up to Loon Lake where it ends or runs into Rubicon Rd. Nice road, not great, but fun. Loon Lake is awesome, nice to stop and have a picnic on the edge of the lake. I have been up to Hell Hole Res/Dam and again nice but not great, but fun. I want a report on Mosquito Ridge Rd. cause I haven't done that one yet. Maybe next June.

Rode up to Loon Lake on Saturday. Flew by the turn and ran out of road.  Came back down and made the left turn to the lake. Nice and peaceful up there. Lots of 4 wheelers up there heading to the Rubicon.

Might do MRR again this weekend. Last time I took it to French Meadows Reservoir, took a break and headed back the same way. Don't have GPS and didn't know which road to take to get me towards familiar ground.

Looks like from French Meadows I can get to Wentworth to Icehouse or Wentworth back to Georgetown. Either way a great ride.

MRR is very scenic. Tough to enjoy the scenery when that road takes ALL of your attention. Some roads on the straights or long sweeping turns I can take in the sights. Might have to stop a few times and enjoy. Also has lots of pine needles on the road. Nerve wracking when the rear tire gets a little loose and sideways.

On Sunday I took a short ride to Foresthill. From there over to Georgetown and Lotus and back home through Folsom to Citrus Heights. 

Even my 17 y/o self with a new motorcycle never did MRR. It's way too sketchy for me. There is a way to connect MRR to WWS but I'm not sure what it is. I'm also pretty sure its not paved. It's certainly very scenic and quiet up there, which is a double edged sword if you catch my drift.

Have I already suggested you checked out the Sac County Riders forum? They're a great group of people, although the forum is pretty dead these days. However, they still ride frequently. There's also NorCal Supermoto on facebook which is another great source for rides.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I've gotten some ride ideas from scr. Never have done a group ride. Used to ride with a friend when I was younger. He doesn't ride much anymore.
I'll let you know if I run out of pavement. Hopefully not. Don't want to have to go back mrr.

• Premium Member
Been up to berryessa a couple of times. Great area. Rode Amador a lot in the 80's. Been up that way a few times recently.
Few weeks ago I went up to markleeville then over ebbets pass down into arnold and then 49 towards home. Great ride.

• Premium Member
I like to explore. Sometimes the fj probably isn't the ideal bike. For 90% of my riding it's perfect. Like the MRR thing. I'm curious if I'll run out of road trying to get over to Wentworth. If so, I don't mind as long as I'm something that can handle the dirt.

I'd been to Foresthill a few times and saw a sign that said Colfax 15 miles. One day I took the turn and ran out of pavement in a couple of miles. Took me 45 minutes to get to Colfax. Was never so happy to see pavement. FJ's not made for that road. It was cool. Took me down to the river where people pan for gold and then back up to Colfax.
Maybe I need another bike!!

I like to explore. Sometimes the fj probably isn't the ideal bike. For 90% of my riding it's perfect. Like the MRR thing. I'm curious if I'll run out of road trying to get over to Wentworth. If so, I don't mind as long as I'm something that can handle the dirt.  
I'd been to Foresthill a few times and saw a sign that said Colfax 15 miles. One day I took the turn and ran out of pavement in a couple of miles. Took me 45 minutes to get to Colfax. Was never so happy to see pavement. FJ's not made for that road. It was cool. Took me down to the river where people pan for gold and then back up to Colfax.
Maybe I need another bike!!

Maybe you need to explore different tires? 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
11 hours ago, Nuckingfuts said:

Absolutely love loon lake for camping and posting up to ride Rubicon on the ktm. Never ridden up to the lake but definitely a decent enough goat path to have some fun. Dont get bit by the plague carrying chipmunks. 

Wanted to head that way a few weeks ago, but still too much snow. Maybe another month or so.

• 1 month later...
On September 6, 2018 at 10:07 AM, koth442 said:

That sounds like Yankee Jim's rd. Agreed, too tight / narrow / steep for the FJ but pretty. Sounds like you need a supermoto.

Yep,...took that on a gsxr 750 once. Never again!But there is an all paved road that connects Colfax to Foresthill.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, taylormade21 said:

Yep,...took that on a gsxr 750 once. Never again!But there is an all paved road that connects Colfax to Foresthill.

I found Iowa Hill Rd. out of Colfax. Great exploring ride. Some first gear switchbacks and a waterfall. Been two more times and no waterfall. After about 30 minutes of 25-30 mph the road opens up for a few miles to Foresthill Rd.

Turned left one day and rode about 30 minutes until the rode was closed with 8' of snow. Turn right and you're 8 miles from Foresthill.

Going again on Sunday with my son. His multi will be a good bike for the that road.

Tried going down Ponderosa Rd. out of Weimar. Sierra Nevada Adventures listed the road and a picture of bikes crossing a wooden bridge. Pavement ends in 15-20 minutes. End of "county maintained road". GPS says 2.5 more miles. I keep going. Road/trail turns to crap pretty fast. Steep downhill, loose dirt and rocks. I guess you call it two track. I try and stop to maybe try and turn around and keep sliding a little. I was kind of puckered up. Thought for sure I was gonna dump it. Kind of tough going back up. No incidents.

I thought I wanted to do that kind of riding, but on a different bike. Seemed easier when I was a kid on a dirt bike.

Anyway, long story. Lots of good roads around here.

• Thumbsup 1