• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

windscreen discussions...

I understand that Yamaha has built to-date some 30,000 of our bikes.   I've owned three of them, all Gen 1 of course, and must be the only owner who was completely satisfied with the OE screen and the way it performed.

True - I live and mainly ride in a pretty benign sub-tropical climate, stay out of rain as much as possible, and am about average height at 5'10" (177cm) on a hot day, but I'm still pretty bemused at this near-universal hatred of the OE screen!    :-S

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I understand that Yamaha has built to-date some 30,000 of our bikes.   I've owned three of them, all Gen 1 of course, and must be the only owner who was completely satisfied with the OE screen and the way it performed.

True - I live and mainly ride in a pretty benign sub-tropical climate, stay out of rain as much as possible, and am about average height at 5'10" (177cm) on a hot day, but I'm still pretty bemused at this near-universal hatred of the OE screen!    wavey.png
...and am about average height at 5'10" (177cm) on a hot day... 

Does your height change with the temperature?  Up or down with increasing heat?  I am interested as I live in Alabama and might consider a move to Alaska if it would add several inches to my height.

(Just chain yanking.  Truly no offense intended.)

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

You probably are the only one LOL :)...but as you know it's all subjective. In the summer here with FULL gear on, because I won't leave the house without it, it can get pretty warm and I take the screen off entirely. In the winter I have a barn door CalSCI for keeping the wind off my chest to keep as much warmth as I can. My issue with the stock screen is the buffeting gives me a headache because I mostly ride highway miles over 60mph for longer duration's, takes a good chunk of fun out of the journey when I finally reach my destination.

If I wasn't doing that much highway miles the stocker would be just fine for most of my spring riding. :)
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Supporting Member
I'm want to see what the Twisted Throttle MRA touring offers me if it sucks. I always have me trusty KLR650 to get me through the winter
Received and installed my MRA screen today.  Fitment is spot on.  Turns lock to lock with plenty (about 1/2") of clearance to the mirror stalks.  Will post up how tomorrow's commute goes.  Apologies for the crappy glare and lack of contrast.   

MRA.1.jpg

MRA.2.jpg

MRA.3.jpg

MRA.4.jpg

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I'm want to see what the Twisted Throttle MRA touring offers me if it sucks. I always have me trusty KLR650 to get me through the winter
Received and installed my MRA screen today.  Fitment is spot on.  Turns lock to lock with plenty (about 1/2") of clearance to the mirror stalks.  Will post up how tomorrow's commute goes.  Apologies for the crappy glare and lack of contrast.   

That looks pretty good. I'm interested in your review. How tall are you?

• Supporting Member
Well, I did my 60-mile morning commute here in the biker-friendly DC/VA/MD metro area with the new MRA screen, and these are my totally unscientific seat-of-the-pants observations.  For reference's sake, the stock seat's in the High position, I'm 5'10" with a short upper body, a 44" chest and wearing a Large Firstgear mesh jacket (not quite a fireplug, but no willow tree, either).  Anyway . . . 

- The MRA is about 2" taller (21" and change) than the stocker (19" and change) and a little wider (sorry, I totally spaced measuring the width).  It's surface is also curved as opposed to the stocker's flat profile.
- I didn't install the protective edge piping that came with the screen.
- Started out with it at the lowest position on the GT.  Got to highway speed (about 70 mph) and started taking "hand" readings with my left hand (glad it was dark; the cagers would've had a fit).
- The wind coming off the screen at the top and around the sides was almost completely clean and undisturbed.  On a scale of 10, it was a 9 (to my simple mind).  It was a nice, clean hiss.  No low-frequency rumble, no head shake, no roaring in the ears over my earplugs...nothing.  I was impressed.
- The screen was physically stable.  It was almost completely free of vibration and shake; probably due to its curvature.
- In the Low setting, the wind hit me in the middle of my faceshield.  Even so, it was still clean and smooth.
- Ran it to the High setting, where the wind hit me at the top of my forehead.  Again, very clean.
- Wind around each side was about a hand's width beyond the edges of my helmet and clipped my shoulders.
- The width and height of clean air (against my body and riding position) makes this screen a very good warm-weather screen.  It's curvature doesn't eliminate any wind, but just re-directs it pretty efficiently over and around my head; what it eliminates (again, in my particular case) is any semblance of turbulence.  NOTE:  if you're behind a vehicle, all bets are off - you'll feel dirty air, as you would with ANY screen, until you clear that vehicle and once again have clear road ahead of you.
- My opinion only...I don't think this screen would work for a really tall rider with a tall upper body.  I don't believe it's quite tall enough to address a tall rider's exposed head and shoulders above the topline of the screen.  Just my 2 cents; as always, YMMV.
- Bottom line . . . if you're looking something that completely blocks wind, this screen is probably not for you.  But, if you're just looking for better wind management, noticeable relief from head-shake (again, my opinion only), and greatly reduced or complete elimination of rumbling and roaring in your ears, then this screen might be worth a closer look for you.

Hope this helps.

• Supporting Member
Well, I did my 60 mile morning commute here in the biker-friendly DC/VA/MD metro area  

rofl.png  
Ah, you caught that, did'ja?  

• Supporting Member
A small addendum to my previous MRA windscreen post . . . 

The GT took me on a more spirited ride into work this morning at a pace a bit higher than 70 mph.  The MRA screen didn't disappoint at all.  High position, no vibration in the mount, no turbulence and still no head shake at all.  Very, very impressed.  This has GOT to be a result of its design, I suppose.  Whatever the case, it works extremely well for me.

Again, it probably won't do so well in cold weather just 'cause it's not a barn door, but it does very well in warm weather.

And lastly, these are my observations as experienced by me.  It would be awesome if others had this same experience, but you know that just ain't real-world.  YMMV.

Be safe out there!

• Supporting Member
I posted my feelings on another post. I'm very happy with the MRA screen at 6'3". The only way I could more protection would be to bolt a shower door to the front of the bike.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Archived