Does this make sense... Need Some Advice K&N Air Filter

• Premium Member
I am in the process of upgrading my exhaust system and last week when I was modifying the TPS for jerky throttle i decided to put in my K&N air filter as the tank was off.  Exhaust being shipped and there was not installed when I put the K&N in.  Bike is a 2015 purchased new 2 months ago and my average millage before the K&N was a solid 51 for the first 2K miles.  After K&N (no ECU modifications yet) millage dropped to about 44.  I called every Yamaha dealer in Rochester NY area asking is I needed to make any "ECU" changes after installing the K&N and they were mostly clueless, but one said the fuel mapping software should pick up on the increased air flow and adjust accordingly.  Yoshi exhaust coming next week with a flash from 2 wheel dyo to accompany.  I know the flash and exhaust will probably change what I m seeing today, but I want make sure that adding just K&N with no ECU changes will decrease gas millage.  Thanks for any help

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
Changing the air filter should not impact gas mileage, especially if you are adding a new clean filter and replacing an old dirty one.

That being said, my gas mileage varied quite a bit during the early miles on the bike, and about 10K miles, settled out to about low 50's. That is where it has stayed consistently. Low to mid 40's were not uncommon in the early days

• Premium Member
Thanks. Appreciate the insight 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

Just to follow up: the dealer statement that “the mapping software should pick up on the increased airflow and adjust accordingly” is PARTLY correct, but the FI system is limited in how much it can correct due to emissions and cat efficiency requirements.

Meaning: it cannot increase or decrease the amt of fuel going into the engine so that the bike will run well.

Your flash will fix that. Fuel mileage? That’s another topic. TWDW tunes for power and driveability. Mileage is probably a consideration but a lower priority. Email and ask them.

-Skip

I recall an old thread in the FZ-09 forum and since they both share the same airbox part number... going to an KN/GYTR airfilter will not need any adjustment to the ECU, in fact the OEM airfilter performs very good...

they even went as far as modding the airbox various ways only to say its not worth the measly 3-4hp gain and cost involved...

so the stock airbox performs really well, unless HORDPOWER makes one of his sweet airboxs he makes for the FZ-07 (Hordpower Airbox, Yoshi exhaust and PCV netted an extra 10-12whp vs stock airbox, Yoshi exhaust and PCV which gave 4-5whp)...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived