Keys jammed in steering

BBB

Just a heads up really. I only normally have my ignition key and a tiny button torch on my key ring, but yesterday I was riding into the city so wanted to also have my topbox keys and my disc-lock keys with me. Stupidly I clipped them all together with a small carabiner.

I rode for 15 minutes with no issues, but at some point the keys must have jiggled around and when I next tried to turn the handlebars there was massive resistance. Luckily I managed to get to the side of the road okay and pull the bunch of keys out from the headstock area by wiggling the bars slightly.

My Givi key was banana shaped and wouldn’t open the topbox, but was easy to flatten with a hammer when I got home. 

A pretty close call, thankfully not on a twisty road and at low speed. This may have been a freak occurence but I’m not going to have multiple keys together anymore.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have a bundle on there too... going to check for pinch points. Thanks.
You can bet your life that, check as you might, the bike'll find a way to jam-up if the keys are left as-is!   It's commonly known as Murphy's Law   Murphy and I are close acquaintances...    :-S

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Funny you should ask @jonno12345 as I took a photo this morning, when trying to understand how it happened.

To the right of the ignition switch, there is a cable channel. The Givi key dropped into this channel and was long enough to catch the headstock below. You can just see the bright marks (circled in red) where the key chipped the black paint off the metal below.

It looks like I was unlucky to have it happen, but the cable channel is quite wide so things lodge in there easily. A shorter key may not have jammed.

B6_FF425_E-18_EE-4_EDD-_AB31-7_C8_C1928_D865.jpg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Funny you should ask @jonno12345 as I took a photo this morning, when trying to understand how it happened. 
To the right of the ignition switch, there is a cable channel. The Givi key dropped into this channel and was long enough to catch the headstock below. You can just see the bright marks (circled in red) where the key chipped the black paint off the metal below.

It looks like I was unlucky to have it happen, but the cable channel is quite wide so things lodge in there easily. A shorter key may not have jammed.

B6_FF425_E-18_EE-4_EDD-_AB31-7_C8_C1928_D865.jpg

Took a look at my bike - that bit looks quite low down, guessing the length of the key combined with the extra length of the carabiner gave it just enough reach...? Really really unlucky :( I have a long keyring tag thing on mine that probably could just about reach it... Really helpful for finding them in a pocket with gloves on but looking at this probably not worth the risk!

Archived