Hand guards

• Premium Member
Currently using the stock ones. I have a set of ktm guards that work great but the vibration in the bars increased a lot.
Any thoughts or cures for vibration? Any bar end weights that work with the ktm guards?

• Supporting Member
Currently using the stock ones. I have a set of ktm guards that work great but the vibration in the bars increased a lot. Any thoughts or cures for vibration? Any bar end weights that work with the ktm guards?
R&G Part# BE0070BK. These sliders fit great but are not very heavy, so I use them with super long SS bolts. Each bolt is notched just inside the bar as it clears the black bar insert, to kinda mimic how a tuned mass damper (vibranator) would work. Poor-man's implementation, but two seasons in... works well enough for me. 

1245.jpgIMG_20170408_190150.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
Buy a big bottle of gold colored BBs, put it on the side stand, turn the wheel full left, remove the bar end & hand guards plus the threaded insert, and use a funnel and hose to fill the bar with the BBs. Pack em tight while tapping the bar. Install the threaded insert and dribble in though it more BBs. Use a bit of foam rubber to keep the BBs inside and install the KTM hand guards and R&G bar end weights of your choice. A few BBs may need to be removed to get the end bolts threaded in.

Has worked for me for 20,000 miles albeit with lower AM bars with more drop and sweep.

Try Grip Puppies as well that work well with the OEM heated grips.

Buy a big bottle of gold colored BBs, put it on the side stand, turn the wheel full left, remove the bar end & hand guards plus the threaded insert, and use a funnel and hose to fill the bar with the BBs. Pack em tight while tapping the bar. Install the threaded insert and dribble in though it more BBs. Use a bit of foam rubber to keep the BBs inside and install the KTM hand guards and R&G bar end weights of your choice. A few BBs may need to be removed to get the end bolts threaded in. 
Has worked for me for 20,000 miles albeit with lower AM bars with more drop and sweep.

Only gold ones work ;) ? I guess these would be easy enough to remove again by removing the bar end on the other side and getting ready to catch?

• Premium Member
They're actually copper coated Steel the copper coating prevents corrosion. so yes you need to have the gold or should I say copper-colored BB's inside so they don't rust and become one solid lump that would not act is a homogeneous vibration damper medium that must be loose and be able to move independently of each other.

https://www.crosman.com/copperhead-bbs-6000-count

• Premium Member
They're actually copper coated Steel the copper coating prevents corrosion. so yes you need to have the gold or should I say copper-colored BB's inside so they don't rust and become one solid lump that would not act is a homogeneous vibration damper medium that must be loose and be able to move independently of each other.

https://www.crosman.com/copperhead-bbs-6000-count

• Premium Member

Exactly what I did, except for the hand guards. I completely removed them and put Sato Racing large SS bar ends on. 
Works like a charm.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I like the bar end and the long stainless steel bolt idea. I'll try that when we return from vacation.
The KTM guards work great so I want to use them. The OEM are almost useless, but the vibration is less.
I have OEM heated grips also. It doesn't get real cold here compared to some. I do ride in the winter if it's dry out. The guards allow me to wear the same gloves year round.

Lead shot works well too, and it's not going to rust. (Can corrode, but really takes awhile, so not much of an issue. The silver bb's are zinc coated, so they don't rust either. :) But copper ones are best if you go the BB route.

BTW, you can add about 4 oz of BB's front, and 6 to 8 oz rear, to the inside of the tires... It will automatically balance the tires as you ride, smooth, and you don't have to deal with clip on weights on the rims. They sell "dynobeads" that are ceramic balls, but I've found if you are really worried about corrosion, order some stainless steel ball bearings, and they are cheaper, and work just as advertised. (And you can get them small enough to pour into the tires/rims if you remove the shrader valve first.) But the larger balls/BB's can be put in while you are installing your new tires just as easy. No need to pay 25.00 to have them mounted and balanced, and the weights always result in a perfect balanced tire, regardless of wear or conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Maybe less sensitive. I'm gonna put mine back on and ride before I get the bar ends and compare again.

I already have issues with my hands falling asleep so this just adds to it.

Archived