Lubing Clutch and Throttle Cables???

betoney

• Supporting Member
There's a lot of conflicting info. as the result of a Google search on the subject. 

"Professional" suggestions range from packing the cable full of grease or only using dry graphite lube, while others claim all modern bikes have Teflon coated cables and you should never apply lube...

What is the common thought on the subject? - To lube or not to lube?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I’m on the original (snaps if you look at it sideways) design. 2015 bought brand new in 2016. Nearing 50,000 miles. I’ve never lubed it. I do take the clutch lever off and slap some grease on its bushing every so often.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
I use Dri Slide... super easy with the applicator needle. Saw it on here somewhere, bought it and really like it. Once a year... off-season task. White lithium (or anything handy really) on other friction points.

dsl206-1-2.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I am @ 87k miles and the third clutch cable (1st snapped at 27k, second replaced with the revised cable @52k).
The FJ clutch cable needs lots of lubing unfortunately - all lubes will initially work, but my experience was that the cables quickly became stuck again (probably due to the running of the cable to close to the engine). After trying lots of different lubes with rather disappointing outcomes, I found that this works best:
SUPERIOR LUBE TRI-FLOW 6oz DRIP BOTTLE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015VD03M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4w-PBbGCSQC7W

It’s very thin and will run through the entire cable just by gravity. I lube the clutch cable every 4-5k miles, the throttle cables every 15-20k miles.

Archived