Don't Write off OEM Saddlebags and Shield

When I bought this bike I was already planning to add Givi sidecases and an aftermarket windshield before I even took the bike for a first ride. I knew about the stock sidecases but thought they were way too small compared to the aftermarket, plus they seemed to cost way too much. As for the shield, what a waste of acrylic! I couldn't see how that would protect me from the wind at all.
But then I started riding the bike and appreciated the OEM parts more. As for the shield, I don't think it was ever intended to block the wind from your face. I think the purpose of the stock shield is just to keep the wind off your torso. Yes, you can get a bigger after market shield. But if you are 6 feet or over, it will likely have to be a pretty tall shield to keep your head out of the wind. And a really tall shield is not only going to look goofy, but I would worry it may also be too much for the plastic bracket that holds it. 
As for the panniers, I saw some photos of the Givi PLX's on the bike, and I'm not sure I like the way those look either.  Part of what I like about this bike is that it is so thin and light compared to the big tourers I'm used to.  I don't want the bike to have a huge butt.  The Shads tuck in a little better but they are bulbous too.  And what if I want to take them off.  Just about all the aftermarket bags require racks that look hideous without the bags.
So now I'm thinking stock may not be so bad....

• Premium Member
The general consensus here is the older 2015 - 2017 OEM screen is junk. It's really not about where the air is hitting you. It's the fact that the air is so turbulent. We really haven't gotten a lot of feedback on the 2018, at least as far as I've seen. I have a Ermax tall screen on my 2015 and find it just about right. As always YMMV.

I am a fan of the Yamaha side cases. I have them. They are sturdy and well made. They go on and come off easily but they are still secure if you decide to leave them on the bike. Which I do when on trips. The big hurdle is the price for putting them on the older bikes. $1,000~ USD. sad.png They are included on the GT.

My thoughts on MC luggage are as follows. Less is more. As an Appalachian Trail - Florida Trail backpacker and Everglades paddler I have found that the more space you have the more "stuff" you bring. Big backpacks are always heavier because we put more "stuff" in them. You know, just in case.  :P

The Yamaha side cases are the right size IMO. They force you to make critical choices about what you are bringing. Keeping the bike lighter and more fun to ride. If I'm going to need a ton of $hit I have a pickup truck for that.

When traveling I have a small-medium (12L) tank bag for small stuff I may want without getting off the bike. Plus it holds my map case.  :) On the passenger seat I have my medium (32L) drybag for my clothes and toiletries. On the luggage rack I have a medium (20L)tail bag for what I think I may need in the course of the day. 

In the side cases are the tools for chain maintenance, a couple of tools for repair/tire repair, a waterproof half bike cover, a kryptonite cable and lock, and things I may need in the course of a trip but not on a daily basis. Other than lubing the chain or locking up the bike I hardly go in them and they stay on the bike.

Keep in mind that I'm a mostly road rider and I'm only sometimes, not often out of cel service.

Fj_09_on_the_road.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
What is that spoiler you have on the windscreen? Did it come that way or did you buy it separately? Also, is it effective?I think that arrangement looks better than a really tall screen....
That's a MRA windscreen with an MRA X-creen spoiler. It worked pretty well. I am currently  running a Ermax tall screen for a bit more protection. 

Screenshot_36.png

Screenshot_37.png

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I decided on a Madstad 22" (that's their recommended height for someone around 6'). The primary reason is because the Madstad has an adjustable bracket that lets you raise or lower the shield or change the angle. Anyway, I'll post a review after it gets here....

• Premium Member
I decided on a Madstad 22" (that's their recommended height for someone around 6'). The primary reason is because the Madstad has an adjustable bracket that lets you raise or lower the shield or change the angle. Anyway, I'll post a review after it gets here....
I have had the Madstad 22 for several years, (I have the 2015 FJ-09) and it works great and is very solid. I can easily see over the screen, but none of the wind buffeting found with the stock screen. You won't be sorry, it's a great product......

• Premium Member
I had an '08 FJR so I recognized the Tracer saddlebags for the same high quality and ease of use, the smaller lid is perfect for me, so I am good there.

After riding the bike for a week I decided to order the Yamaha touring windshield, it was a 4 week delivery delay.  By the time I received it, I had gotten used to the OEM shield and I thought it was ok.  Maybe the touring shield will help on Colorado winter days.

I love this bike.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 3 months later...

I finally installed OEM hard saddlebags on my 2015 to start commuting on it daily to a new job.  They're solid and well mounted, but kind of small,  barely hold the top/bottom halves of my Aerostich in each, so don't see how a one piece could even work. But the important trade off is narrowness which is critical for the daily California lane splitting.   They're no wider than the handlebars, and I don't even think about them being there when I ride.   But if you live somewhere without lanesplitting i'd suggest a hard look at larger cases.

Archived