Ride modes button

mannic

Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my ride mode changes randomly. I typically just ride in STD mode, but have looked down on quite a few occasions and it will have switched on its own to A or B. While I don't necessarily mind if it switches to A mode, B mode always makes me feel like the bike has gone into limp mode. Is there something that's causing the ECU to change on its own? Thanks for the help!

It's a 2015. ECU has not been remapped.

That’s some strange behavior. The ECM should prevent the ride mode from being changed if the throttle is in ANY position but closed (road speed doesn’t matter).

The only thing that comes to mind is a sticking mode switch on the RH handlebar. You might try taking the switch off the bars and making sure there isn’t a bunch of water or other corrosion causing a short. After that, you’ll need to pull the fairing and possibly the air box, depending on where the switch harness connects to the main harness - in order to get to the RH switch connector for further testing. (It might connect up under the windscreen trim as well, not sure)

Other than that, paying attention to whether it happens regardless of throttle position will help troubleshooting.

-S

I assume It is just a faulty button. Today on my ride to work, just the lightest thumb pressure on the mode selector caused it to change modes with a closed throttle. I'll have to pull that apart and see what I can find out.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 11:20 AM, mannic said:

I assume It is just a faulty button. Today on my ride to work, just the lightest thumb pressure on the mode selector caused it to change modes with a closed throttle. I'll have to pull that apart and see what I can find out.

Mine seem to change modes at will, without even touching the button. Then sometimes, the button does not change the mode. Thoughts?

The button is the most likely culprit. Pull and strip that switch cluster, and get in there with the WD40.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email