Factory Oil level

My new FJ I bought a few weeks back seems to have a low oil level. I can not see oil level in the sight glass when in the uprigt position?? Does anyone know if the factory fills oil level to required # of quarts??  Or, is the dealer suppose to top off?  I rode this bike home from dealer (about 50 miles) and I am a bit concerned.

Since I am not home, what is the specified viscosity for the FJ. I live in TX and weather does not get below 30F. I would like to buy some oil  on my way home from work.

Just guessing. Put bike on side stand. if you can, on the site glass side, slowly pull the bike up to vertical. Get help if needed.
You may be seeing nothing but oil, if slightly over filled. Sight glass can fool you if over filled. Get a quart of 20 -50w oil and top up if needed.
Any oil is better than too little. If needed, call dealer to alert them of oversight to get on record.

• Premium Member
My new FJ I bought a few weeks back seems to have a low oil level. I can not see oil level in the sight glass when in the uprigt position?? Does anyone know if the factory fills oil level to required # of quarts??  Or, is the dealer suppose to top off?  I rode this bike home from dealer (about 50 miles) and I am a bit concerned. 
Since I am not home, what is the specified viscosity for the FJ. I live in TX and weather does not get below 30F. I would like to buy some oil  on my way home from work.

No need for concern. The FJ-09 is equipped with an Oil Level Warning Light that illuminates. If the oil is low around 1/2 - 3/4 quart and you're running higher RPMs, you might see it come on. Reducing your RPMs will turn it off as more oil becomes available in the sump. Simply top it off when you get a chance. This is not a catastrophic condition. 
OilLevel.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 1 year later...
I pulled out less than the recommended fill amount when I did an oil change the other day. I don't think they fill it to 100% capacity when they prep it for sale.

Doubtful. The factory fill is very accurate.

Did you change it on the center stand? Did you also drain it on the side stand?

I always get MORE oil in then the book says. Usually just shy of 3 qts with a filter.

This motor definitely uses a lot of fuel the first couple tanks during break-in. Some oil use is to be expected.

Skip

I pulled out less than the recommended fill amount when I did an oil change the other day. I don't think they fill it to 100% capacity when they prep it for sale.
Doubtful. The factory fill is very accurate.  
Did you change it on the center stand? Did you also drain it on the side stand?

I always get MORE oil in then the book says. Usually just shy of 3 qts with a filter.

This motor definitely uses a lot of fuel the first couple tanks during break-in. Some oil use is to be expected.

Skip

Drained on the center stand and then I tipped it from side to side during draining. I also ended up adding just about as much as you did when I refilled to where the stock oil level was.

• Premium Member
I can't speak to factory fills being accurate as mine was low when I picked it up from the dealer. There was oil in the sight glass after having sat on the showroom floor for who knows how long, but when checked within a few minutes of being run, it was barely in the sight glass. It was low enough, in fact, that the level light flickered on my ride home alerting me to the problem and prompting me to give it a proper check.

When checked after just barely running, it will be low, as it takes time to dribble back down into the oil pan. That's the most inaccurate way to check your level. Check it cold, or several minutes after shutting it off after actually riding the bike, or let it idle for minimum 5 minutes, let it settle - then check the level.

S

• Premium Member
The oil light flickering is actually a pressure indicator, not a level indicator. But I'm glad you checked it out. The light did its job, for sure!

S

The oil light flickering is oil level, not pressure. RTFM 

OilLevel.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

When checked after just barely running, it will be low, as it takes time to dribble back down into the oil pan. That's the most inaccurate way to check your level. Check it cold, or several minutes after shutting it off after actually riding the bike, or let it idle for minimum 5 minutes, let it settle - then check.  
The oil light flickering is actually a pressure indicator, not a level indicator. But I'm glad you checked it out. The light did its job, for sure!

S

Page 4-3 in the manual says it's an oil level light.

S

The oil light flickering is oil level, not pressure. RTFM 

OilLevel.jpg

You're right. I did RTFM, but I mixed it up with another model.

Oil level is correct. It's another model I was thinking of that is oil pressure.

Skip

Out of curiosity, how does the engine measure the oil level and then warn you, especially if the bike is moving? Surely it is measuring oil pressure and the wording in the manual is simply reflecting that this is a proxy for oil level.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Out of curiosity, how does the engine measure the oil level and then warn you, especially if the bike is moving? Surely it is measuring oil pressure and the wording in the manual is simply reflecting that this is a proxy for oil level.

It's probably a float of some sort with some kind of tolerance and/or uses the lean angle sensor to know the bike is moving.

The parts list has it labeled as a "oil level gauge assembly".

#13 on this page

http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26daf87002164cb2806f/electrical-2

Archived