Factory Oil level

Oil level sensors are nothing new. There is one on my generator and riding mower and both cars have separate level and pressure sensors. Looking at the Yamaha part on the internet I would guess that it is a float switch, but there are other types of level indicators.

it certainly does look like a float sensor from that OEM parts link. It must get pretty damn low to cause an alarm when the engine is running and the oil is circulating throughout the engine.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

it certainly does look like a float sensor from that OEM parts link. It must get pretty damn low to cause an alarm when the engine is running and the oil is circulating throughout the engine.
The engine isn't all that big to start with, and it would only need to signal if the oil level was getting close to the pump pickup level, which is at the bottom of the sump. 

• Premium Member
Oil level sensors are nothing new. There is one on my generator and riding mower and both cars have separate level and pressure sensors. Looking at the Yamaha part on the internet I would guess that it is a float switch, but there are other types of level indicators.
Heck, my 23 year old Yamaha has an oil level sensor.  
IMG_1041.JPG

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Nice GTS! I remember when those came out, we thought that was the future. Now even BMW is abandoning their Telelever and going back to conventional forks.

I've noticed they seem to be slightly low/fill from the factory.

But with a longer/larger spin on filter, and a good drain where you tilt the bike slightly to get all the oil out of the pan/sump, you can really put in 3 quarts and have the oil when the bike is level at the center of the sight glass.

Definitely not over filled. And from what I can see of the engine, there is no crankshaft or other moving parts that should be down into the oil level with 3 quarts and larger/longer filter installed. Especially while in operation and some of the oil is up suspended in the engine and transmission.

Nice GTS! I remember when those came out, we thought that was the future. Now even BMW is abandoning their Telelever and going back to conventional forks.
BMW hasn't quite pulled the pin on the Telelever yet, but it's probably only a matter of time - the GS and RT both still feature this incomparable front-end.   I've owned numerous Telelever-equipped BMWs (Rs and GSs) and the stability, road-hugging, sense of security, and comfort of that system is unsurpassed, IMHO.   But I guess the accountants have their way in all such decisions, despite mealy-mouthed claims by BMW that there are other reasons for abandoning the Telelever. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
BMW hasn't quite pulled the pin on the Telelever yet, but it's probably only a matter of time - the GS and RT both still feature this incomparable front-end.   I've owned numerous Telelever-equipped BMWs (Rs and GSs) and the stability, road-hugging, sense of security, and comfort of that system is unsurpassed, IMHO.   But I guess the accountants have their way in all such decisions, despite mealy-mouthed claims by BMW that there are other reasons for abandoning the Telelever.
A friend has bought an R1200R Sport with the red frame. I was saddened to see it does not have a Telelever - I had an R1150GS for over a decade and like the idea of the new R1200RS but the lack of a Telelever is another reason to continue procrastinating and stick with the perfectly adequate Tracer. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

A friend has bought an R1200R Sport with the red frame. I was saddened to see it does not have a Telelever - I had an R1150GS for over a decade and like the idea of the new R1200RS but the lack of a Telelever is another reason to continue procrastinating and stick with the perfectly adequate Tracer. 
Naturally BMW still uses the telelever on the RT and big GS but it just doesn't fit physically  on some of the other bikes like the RS.  On that note I rode the R1200rs and although it was interesting two things have stopped me from buying one so far.  The position is a bit forward leaning for me for a touring bike and for me it simply did not steer quick enough to excite me enough. 
By comparison my FJ is much more nimble although overall not nearly the quality of the RS.  I guess the fact is I did not buy a RS yet but did buy the FJ......

But I am seriously considering buying a 2017 r12rt with abs pro and such.  I have an r1100rt and I am a big fan of the telelever.  Once you get used to them they are amazing imo.

Archived