enlarge tool tray

magpie

• Premium Member
That's my next project. There is a huge space available that I can stuff a tire plug kit that is prefect, but inaccessible. Any disadvantages to cutting that plastic away?
not that I can see, you can leave the tool roll in the same place if you want to and the rubber band is strong enough to stop it moving forward 
the plastic is thin and can be cut away with a Stanley knife - took me under a minute to trim it away

as the plastic is thin it is easy to leave sharp edges so take your time to make a tidy job

With the divider gone I have space to put a pair of thick gloves to use if I get caught in a sudden downpour. 

Sadly not quite large enough for the can of tyre sealant I carry rather than a puncture kit
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Been added to "How To Index". Was planning to do this myself, good write up with picture. Awarded shortest How To award. :)

Edit 4-13-15:  I used a vibrating saw to cut the plastic and it worked very well. l5qcHtv.png

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Great mod, thanks everyone.
I now have a disclock/screamer, puncture repair set including CO2 cartridges, toolkit, and visor cleaning sponge and fluid, and finally the USB adapter for the accessory socket all stashed under there.
The mod took a couple of minutes to cut out and smooth down with my dremel.

• Premium Member
I would like a after picture to accompany the before picture. It doesn't look like it opens up much room. Maybe I am missing something.

that is an after picture! 
The 2D picture does not show depth very well - taking away the divider makes a deep section under the latch bracketry more accessible so you have one large compartment rather than 2 small compartments, one of which is inaccessible

If you look at one in the flesh, the benefit of this mod will be obvious...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 year later...
I saw that cubby hole under the seat latch plate and wondered why you can't get to it with that plastic wall there. Now I got room for my air compressor with the DynaPlug kit tucked in the back of the tail.

IMG_2051_zpsua5ay2mc.jpg
  • Thumbsup 1

I was thinking the same thing. They put a nice storage bin in place, yet closed off the access to it. The dremel is coming out tomorrow, the new Blue Sea power distribution box will fit perfectly in there.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing. They put a nice storage bin in place, yet closed off the access to it. The dremel is coming out tomorrow, the new Blue Sea power distribution box will fit perfectly in there.
dremel is overkill - the plastic is very soft - easier than cutting a PET pop/soda bottle 

• Premium Member
dremel is overkill - the plastic is very soft - easier than cutting a PET pop/soda bottle 
I was thinking a sawzall and a large sledge hammer to really make some room in there  B-| .
Give me a call if ya need help.. I'm an artist with a sledgehammer.... Really. :D 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA