changing to LED indicators, what do i need to know?

Ok, these ugly ass stock indicators have to go.  What have you guys been doing to change over to LED's.  I want to change all four of them.  Not interested in the integrated tail light.  I've seen the flow type, they're nice, and some small round ones. ...so many options.  

I need to know if I need to add resistors, new flasher or diodes...backing plates.  I want to order everything in one shot and not have to realize I need something else to make it work.

Pics of what you have installed would be great.

• Supporting Member

Hi @stumpy - Is this for a first gen FJ, or the newer Tracer/Tracer GT model?   Several of us have done the factory Super Tenere LED signal swap on the FJ, but I’m not sure if the signals and/or wiring connectors have changed with the newer models.    

For the FJ, this thread has a lot of good details all in one location:  

4 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @stumpy - Is this for a first gen FJ, or the newer Tracer/Tracer GT model?   Several of us have done the factory Super Tenere LED signal swap on the FJ, but I’m not sure if the signals and/or wiring connectors have changed with the newer models.    

For the FJ, this thread has a lot of good details all in one location:  

sorry...2016.  i'll give it a read though

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, stumpy said:

Ok, these ugly ass stock indicators have to go.  What have you guys been doing to change over to LED's.  I want to change all four of them.  Not interested in the integrated tail light.  I've seen the flow type, they're nice, and some small round ones. ...so many options.  

I need to know if I need to add resistors, new flasher or diodes...backing plates.  I want to order everything in one shot and not have to realize I need something else to make it work.

Pics of what you have installed would be great.

High Tech Speed X-Arc Signal Install

Very bright, compact and sturdy. 

TST Industries Flasher Relay  - this is adjustable to set your flash speed rate.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, duhs10 said:

The Flasher Relay is the way yo go.. plug and play. No resistors needed.

Absolutely concur.  I bought that TST Industries adjustable flasher when I did the LED signal swap.   Plug & play to the stock wiring, and it works perfectly.   

I'm using the Yamaha indicators (Part YMEH07890010). These come with the backing plates and resistors. Unfortunately they also come with bullet connectors instead of the original plugs. You can either buy plugs or just butcher the old indicator wires. 

NOTE: You should only use 2 of the 4 resistors otherwise your hazard lights won't function correctly (it took me a while to figure that one out). Using 4 resistors will cause the hazard lights to stop functioning after a few flashes. 

Not my bike ^

20181015_212303.jpg

My Bike ^

57 minutes ago, bugie said:

I personally find flush mount indicators are rarely visible to other traffic during the day

I have had flush mount turn signals on my FJ for 2 years... they may not be as visible to head on traffic but are clearly visible from the side.

I dont find this to be a problem as I consider it my responsibility to not turn in front of oncoming vehicles.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 4 weeks later...

Archived