Yamaha Hard City Cases fitted

As I have stated before, the hard city cases and bracket stays are not officially available here in the U.K.

I managed to source the Stays and Cases from the U.S.A. and Jersey, as I really didn't fancy the soft bags that they let us have in the U.K.

The fittings are very heavily built and bolt onto the rear footrest mount and to the footrests themselves. A strong bracket joins the two stays together under the mudguard. The cases are a very snug fit on the brackets, and there is no movement or slack over the whole system.

I am well chuffed with my purchase, it is exactly what I personally wanted.

TracerCases1.jpg

TracerCases2.jpg

TracerCases3.jpg

TracerCases4.jpg

TracerCases5.jpg

TracerCases6.jpg

TracerCases7.jpg

As I have stated before, the hard city cases and bracket stays are not officially available here in the U.K. 
The fittings are very heavily built and bolt onto the rear footrest mount and to the footrests themselves. A strong bracket joins the two stays together under the mudguard. The cases are a very snug fit on the brackets, and there is no movement or slack over the whole system.

TracerCases3.jpg

Don't forget to add this (assuming it rains in the UK ::)) to the cross bracket:

http://fj-09.org/thread/526/flap-protect-rear-shock-road

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Looks great. Nice pics. You're looking about $450 CAD for the Yamaha Soft Bags w/ mounts and about $1500 CAD for the City Cases w/ mounts.

I have a post with similar pictures of the soft bags installed. Between our two posts, it should be easy for people to make the decision :)
http://fj-09.org/thread/721/yamaha-soft-bags-installed

You're clearly getting a sturdier product with the hard bags, but the soft bags are pretty nice too.

Everyone has different needs of course, but at a high level, I'd say city cases if you leave them attached most of the time and/or use them a lot and soft bags if you're an occasional user and don't want to leave them on all the time. Well, and then there's the $1000 price different that may make up your mind for you...

• 10 months later...
Hey Scuff,

Now that you have had some time with the bags, how do you like them? I prefer the lines of the brackets of the hard cases and am looking at these, even though I am getting gouged from the dealer. Are they: water resistant, or water proof?

Any more info/insight would be great.

Thanks.
Cheers!

• Premium Member
Hey Scuff, 
Now that you have had some time with the bags, how do you like them? I prefer the lines of the brackets of the hard cases and am looking at these, even though I am getting gouged from the dealer. Are they: water resistant, or water proof?

Any more info/insight would be great.

Thanks.
You won't get a reply. Scuff decided the Tracer wasn't for him and traded it in for a newish Fireblade last summer. Then binned the Fireblade. His wife, elaine on here, has kept her Tracer but uses Givi luggage. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

The Yamaha cases were very good, and certainly more robust than the givi ones fitted to Elaine's bike. The mounting hardware in particular was very solid in comparison.
I didn't have any water ingress with the cases. My only less positive observation us that the textured Matt finish is quite susceptible to marking if you scrub your boot across when mounting or dismounting the bike. Expensive yes, but I certainly thought that they were worth the money.

For your info Wessie, the blade is on the road again and terrorising other road users.  :D

I am am saving up for the MT-10 Tracer which is bound to be made in the future!

I have the hard cases and Yamaha did, indeed, provide them with *very* sturdy mounts, there is NO slack in the system at all. I imagine they'll will loosen up a smidgen with time and usage, but it's not anything I'm gonna worry about. And Yamaha also did an excellent job of "camouflaging" the brackets - most folks would never notice them if they weren't told about them. Bravo, Yamaha!!

They *are* expensive, but you really do get a solid, well-engineered and constructed piece of gear for your money. I'm very glad to have mine even though they sit in my bedroom closet 90% of the time. I'll get a chance to really give them some usage when I ride from So Fla to Tellico Plains, TN this coming April - w00t!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I have the hard cases and Yamaha did, indeed, provide them with *very* sturdy mounts, there is NO slack in the system at all. I imagine they'll will loosen up a smidgen with time and usage, but it's not anything I'm gonna worry about. And Yamaha also did an excellent job of "camouflaging" the brackets - most folks would never notice them if they weren't told about them. Bravo, Yamaha!!  
They *are* expensive, but you really do get a solid, well-engineered and constructed piece of gear for your money. I'm very glad to have mine even though they sit in my bedroom closet 90% of the time. I'll get a chance to really give them some usage when I ride from So Fla to Tellico Plains, TN this coming April - w00t!!
I have been using mine quite a bit over the last 26K and they haven't loosened up at all.  You still have to jerk them off.  :D   Try riding with them on, as I found them to almost be unnoticeable when empty.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
The Yamaha cases were very good, and certainly more robust than the givi ones fitted to Elaine's bike. The mounting hardware in particular was very solid in comparison. I didn't have any water ingress with the cases. My only less positive observation us that the textured Matt finish is quite susceptible to marking if you scrub your boot across when mounting or dismounting the bike. Expensive yes, but I certainly thought that they were worth the money.

For your info Wessie, the blade is on the road again and terrorising other road users.  :D

I am am saving up for the MT-10 Tracer which is bound to be made in the future!
Lurking, eh? 
I'll have a go on the MT10 if my dealer gets a demo on the road. It has one of those nasty inline fours that gets my snob gland oozing...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Forget the MT10...Look at the XSR900 in yellow... Now THAT is a sweet bike!

Thanks for the luggage input guys. Not what I wanted to hear as I can't spend anymore cash, but good to know that I don't have the use the fridge sized Shads or Givis.
Cheers!

Archived