Valve check interval

gnr

I know that Yamaha recommends 25k miles, but it seems like everyone's exhaust valves are tight by then. And it sounds like a couple of people have experienced related issues. My mileage is only 5k, but I am thinking about checking well in advance of recommended (say maybe 15k or so)

Has anyone checked earlier than recommended? If so, when and what did you find?

Thanks. 

Just fyi - Checked over on the FZ forum. Seems as though some have checked early and found no problem and others have found tight exhaust valves. Some have checked at 25k and found them ok to slightly tight, but have left as is and will inspect again later. And then there are some that are quite tight by 25k. 

I think I'll inspect early when the time comes. 

• Premium Member

Had mine checked just before 23K and all were within spec, albeit closer to the tight end of the range. Guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. Will probably have it checked again at the 20K mark next time. 

21 hours ago, gnr said:

Just fyi - Checked over on the FZ forum. Seems as though some have checked early and found no problem and others have found tight exhaust valves. Some have checked at 25k and found them ok to slightly tight, but have left as is and will inspect again later. And then there are some that are quite tight by 25k. 

I think I'll inspect early when the time comes. 

I have been hoping that someone would take some pics or a video whle doing this and post a tech tip for others. Want to be the guy? 

Checking and adjusting valves is one of those things that many dont know how to do. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

I have been hoping that someone would take some pics or a video whle doing this and post a tech tip for others...  

Checking and adjusting valves is one of those things that many dont know how to do. 

I'll second that. I chose to pay a professional to check my valves because I don't know how to do it and I didn't want to figure it out during the summer riding season. However, I'd like to do the next valve check myself and a how-to would be great to have for a reference.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

1 hour ago, estell said:

I'll second that. I chose to pay a professional to check my valves because I don't know how to do it and I didn't want to figure it out during the summer riding season. However, I'd like to do the next valve check myself and a how-to would be great to have for a reference.

I'm afraid I fit into this category as well. When the time comes I'll get someone who knows what they are doing to check and adjust if necessary. 

Four years ago, we would get 2-3 tech tips a month in our tech tips section. And the forum would get hundreds of posts per day.  

Now, hardly anyone takes the time to write up tech tips. Not sure what that says about the direction of our society. 

30 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Four years ago, we would get 2-3 tech tips a month in our tech tips section. And the forum would get hundreds of posts per day.  

Now, hardly anyone takes the time to write up tech tips. Not sure what that says about the direction of our society. 

I think the most enthusiastic owners write up tech tips and the most enthusiastic people buy brand new bikes. I would expect as these bikes age another 2-4 years more tech tips will pop up. Most things are still too new to break.

'15 FJ09

Archived