Hiawassee GA trip

hawkeye

• Premium Member

Hi all,

I'm staying in the Hiawassee area at the beginning of May for 4 days with some riding buddies. Many of them are familiar with the area as they do this trip yearly, but just looking for input on must-see roads, restaurants and other points of interest/tips. Any north Georgia locals here with suggestions?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

There’s lots of good stuff. GA 60, GA 75, anything that goes up into NC. Y’all will be a couple of hours from the dragon and the Cherohala skyway. US 64 along the Ocoee, TN30,TN68,TN360, NC28,US64 around highlands. Throw a dart at the map and go there. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

Routes 180, 19, 60, 348 are all great routes.

I agree with Micah - If you have time, go ride the Cherohala Skyway.  For me, the Dragon is too congested on the weekend, but the Skyway is generally less so and easier to pass on.

Have fun!

Rob

• Premium Member
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, motopumps said:

Routes 180, 19, 60, 348 are all great routes.

I agree with Micah - If you have time, go ride the Cherohala Skyway.  For me, the Dragon is too congested on the weekend, but the Skyway is generally less so and easier to pass on.

Have fun!

Rob

The Cherohala Skyway has been on my radar for awhile, so that's going to be a priority while we're there. I've heard so many people say the Dragon is only worth it if you can get there during the morning on a weekday. Might happen, might not. I'm OK with that. It's the lesser known roads I'm looking forward to.

Thanks to you and @micah2074 for the suggestions!

• Premium Member

You can make a loop of the skyway and the dragon. I prefer the skyway because of the long sweeping curves. The dragon is tight and fun. If you get up there early and go for the loop start on the dragon. It’s worth the time. 

Let’s go Brandon

Check out the Suches loop.  Great place for lunch (or to camp) called Two Wheels of Suches.  If you start  there, take Hwy 180 (Wolf Pen Gap Road) northish to Hwy 19/129.  Turn right on 19/129 and follow to where 19 turns right.  This intersection is known as Turners Corner.  Next turn right onto Hwy 60 at Stone Pile Gap.  Hwy 60 will take you back to Suches.  

Nearby towns include Helen and Dahlonega, GA.  Both are a lot of fun.  If you're going to Helen, continue on hwy 180 to Richard Russell hwy.  Great roads and all are good destinations with plenty of choices for food or places to stay.  Dahlonega has a neat downtown square and some nearby wineries, if you're interested.  

I might be able to join you, but I plan on doing the Natchez Trace the week of May 6th.  PM me if you're going to be in the area on a different week and we can try to meet up.  

Ride Safe - - -

23 hours ago, YamaGeezer said:

Check out the Suches loop.  Great place for lunch (or to camp) called Two Wheels of Suches.  If you start  there, take Hwy 180 (Wolf Pen Gap Road) northish to Hwy 19/129.  Turn right on 19/129 and follow to where 19 turns right.  This intersection is known as Turners Corner.  Next turn right onto Hwy 60 at Stone Pile Gap.  Hwy 60 will take you back to Suches.  

Nearby towns include Helen and Dahlonega, GA.  Both are a lot of fun.  If you're going to Helen, continue on hwy 180 to Richard Russell hwy.  Great roads and all are good destinations with plenty of choices for food or places to stay.  Dahlonega has a neat downtown square and some nearby wineries, if you're interested.  

I might be able to join you, but I plan on doing the Natchez Trace the week of May 6th.  PM me if you're going to be in the area on a different week and we can try to meet up.  

Ride Safe - - -

Good advice here... not much to add.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, duhs10 said:

Good advice here... not much to add.

The only thing I would add is to come towards Helen via GA348 (Richard Russell Parkway), turn left on 75A, and when you cross the river at the stop sign, turn left on GA75 and head north.  Do not, I repeat, do not turn right and go into Helen during a weekend.  

You'll regret it.

• Premium Member

I would also highly recommend getting this.  Wayne does an awesome job putting these maps together.  You want a good road that is less traveled?  He's found it and has it listed on his maps.

• 2 weeks later...

I second all the above info and will add, go to clayton take war woman road to hwy 28. Either way you turn will be a good ride, but north to highlands,nc will be the most fun. Follow 64/28 back to franklin, nc and check out the waterfalls. Also check out Tallulah Falls if you have time. You can put together some great roads around it.

Archived