360 filming on a Motorcycle - Here's Rylo

Hey folks, looking for ideas on 360 Motorcycle videos. since purchasing a Rylo 360 on ebay. 

I attached the Rylo 360 to the left handlebar end and filmed a short ride nearby.

This 360 video can be panned by dragging the mouse anytime to see the rest of the scene.
I purchased an in-expensive pair of VR Glasses from Fry's electronics [Naxa] and play the original 360 video using my smart phone...and this is like an entirely new playing field on filming since you see a Real panoramic view.

I use a VR app. on my Samsung and some Youtube 360 videos also have a VR goggle icon.

With the VR goggles on you can spin around in your chair to follow the Motorcycle ride...hard to explain how far out this 360 tech. really is.  

Also I see that editing a 360 video is different because you do not have a fixed shot.

Since this is more unlimited than expected, what are some ideas on editing, panning etc?...anyone?

Seems like a thick forest would look good or some natural landmarks?

btw: I did upgrade the RAM mount to 1.5" higher so I don't include the rear view mirror on my 2015 FJ in the shot.

'82 Yamaha Virago 920 safe but no so fun '84 Honda Magna V45 750- real speedy machine '90 Honda ST1100 [opps-crashed that bad boy- she went down like a large buffalo] '92 Yamaha Virago 750- not so fun '94 Honda Nighthawk 750-kinda fun '04 Yamaha VStar 1100- slow boat 2005 BMW RTP1150 cop bike-fun diversion 2015 FJ09 red- best yet!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, micah2074 said:

Thanks. You just showed me what will replace my gopro.

Same here...I now use the Gopro to simply take still photos every 2-3 seconds and have a shot of every bike/car i pass and on-coming traffic in case I need to verify an incident or sometimes good pics appear along the way :_)

GOPR7255s.JPG

'82 Yamaha Virago 920 safe but no so fun '84 Honda Magna V45 750- real speedy machine '90 Honda ST1100 [opps-crashed that bad boy- she went down like a large buffalo] '92 Yamaha Virago 750- not so fun '94 Honda Nighthawk 750-kinda fun '04 Yamaha VStar 1100- slow boat 2005 BMW RTP1150 cop bike-fun diversion 2015 FJ09 red- best yet!!

• Premium Member

360 video is a pretty awesome tool and a good way to show a wide scope of the experience.  You could mount it to the back of your motorcycle on a short pole to give a true passenger experience.

Where 360 really shines is the ability to reframe a shot in post and never having to worry about missing a shot or the subject being out of frame.  Imagine a sunny day and you're riding by a pretty lake when a flock of birds takes flight from the water.  BAM! You've got it in post and can frame it perfectly.  So it's also useful for traditional formats if you're telling a story or wanting to show something specific that you don't want the viewer to miss.

What software do you use to edit?  Does Rylo come with it's own 360 video editor?

Hey fj09newbie  superfist, here's the deal on 360 video editing:

You can edit the 360 video frames/shots/zoom using the free Rylo phone app. 
Once the video is edited, you can export it as 360 or just 4k regular video and this part works nicely.

The next step was to add music to a 360 video and possibly combine clips beyond what the phone app allows and  so far Rylo provides free a 360 video editor for Mac users only...soon PC users will have a free Rylo tool as well.

I found a nice PC solution costs $79 - Movavi 360 video editor...I am waiting a bit to see when Rylo will have the free PC version [they say soon] but for now I have two options:

In both cases the camera angle/framing/zoom is done in the Rylo app on the phone/ipad before exporting-
1) Phone/PC edited

export the 360 video using the Rylo app as a standard 4k [non 360] and further edit in on the PC using Sony Vegas Pro to add music and combine clips dual video with 360 demo Sena 10c + Rylo 360 I used the voice/sound from the Sena 10c and Rylo exported std [non-360] vid clip

2) Phone/ipad editor - no Mac or PC
all editing done on the phone/ipad-  use the Rylo phone app and adding an app called "V360" which allows adding 1 song to the video, then  export it as 360 video . an example is at top of this thread...here is without adding music step Las Posas Road 

I just lose interest if it gets too technical/complex...so far it not so bad and glad I went down this 360 road :_)

• Premium Member

@jdude awesome!   What's the file format it outputs?   I'm guessing it's MP4 with H.264 compression?

I use Davinci Resolve Studio for editing and I just looked it up and it supports 360, and the Rylo is only $100 more than the newest Go Pro.  I might have to go the 360 route instead!

On 4/5/2019 at 8:03 AM, superfist said:

@jdude awesome!   What's the file format it outputs?   I'm guessing it's MP4 with H.264 compression?

I use Davinci Resolve Studio for editing and I just looked it up and it supports 360, and the Rylo is only $100 more than the newest Go Pro.  I might have to go the 360 route instead!

Yes fj09newbie, the format is mp4 but not sure of the compression.
Great idea to look at Davinci Resolve Studio...thanks for that ;_)

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, jdude said:

Yes fj09newbie, the format is mp4 but not sure of the compression.
Great idea to look at Davinci Resolve Studio...thanks for that ;_)

I learned on the free version of Rresolve.  Then I decided I wanted lens correction and HDR support, which is supported in the paid version.  I chose it over the adobe suite of products only because I don't like subscriptions and the purchase price of Resolve Studio was equivalent to one year of subscription and includes all future updates and versions.  The free version is insanely capable as well (includes 360 support).

Their downloadable PDF training books come with media so you can follow along and Youtube is full of tutorials for specific tasks. 

On 4/12/2019 at 5:45 AM, superfist said:

I learned on the free version of Rresolve.  Then I decided I wanted lens correction and HDR support, which is supported in the paid version.  I chose it over the adobe suite of products only because I don't like subscriptions and the purchase price of Resolve Studio was equivalent to one year of subscription and includes all future updates and versions.  The free version is insanely capable as well (includes 360 support).

Their downloadable PDF training books come with media so you can follow along and Youtube is full of tutorials for specific tasks. 

Hey Superfist:

I downloaded Resolve but it requires a 64-bit operating system...will get other computer working and continue and try Resolve..looks to be really good [it's free as well ]!..tx

Archived