Screwed up....need help troubleshooting.

Before you bust my chops, realize I make careless error that anyone could have made.  Reinstalling the battery and without realizing it was turned the wrong way I had attached the positive and then touched the negative wire to the terminal.  ( Had the battery rotated and even though the terminals were on the same side of the bike this switched them front to back. ) Obviously got a nice spark from the negative terminal.  Installed battery correctly and now the bike is dead.....turn the key and nothing.  I am hoping it is nothing more than a blown fuse but I don't have the service manual and not sure which or where to check first.  Mechanical stuff I do well, electrical stuff is foreign to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Pictures would be great.  Was planning a ride tomorrow but that won't happen.  Just hope I have not cooked anything.....bike is only four days old.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Just now, kingfisher said:

Probably two blown fuses, the 50 amp main fuse and the fuel injector fuse. Check both, replace, and all will likely be OK.

Yes.....50 amp fuse is burned.  Can you tell me where the injector fuse is located?  Thanks.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Fuel injector fuse is good.  Found the location in the owners manual.  Will get a replacement for the 50 amp next week and hopefully that will be all I need.  Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated.  

4 hours ago, kingfisher said:

You are welcome. Those 50 amp fuses are usually available at the auto parts store. You may still be able to ride tomorrow.

I will check that out.  I guess if it is the correct fitment, and amperage is the same it should be fine to use one other than from the dealer.  I feel pretty stupid for having done this as I have worked on all my bikes for years but never had any sort of electrical issue.....not even a blown fuse. This is how we learn.

Thanks again for your help.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @johnmark101 - Sorry to hear about your issue, and it’s unfortunately a fairly common occurrence with the FJ/Tracer bikes.  The battery lays on its side in the battery box, and if accidentally installed in the conventional upright orientation, the terminals end up reversed.   

You're probably looking at the main fuse, and also the ETV fuse that runs the electronic ‘ride-by-wire’ throttle controls.   

There’s a bit more detail in this thread:  

Good luck, and I hope you’re back on the road ASAP.  

-Scott

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @johnmark101 - Sorry to hear about your issue, and it’s unfortunately a fairly common occurrence with the FJ/Tracer bikes.  The battery lays on its side in the battery box, and if accidentally installed in the conventional upright orientation, the terminals end up reversed.   

You're probably looking at the main fuse, and also the ETV fuse that runs the electronic ‘ride-by-wire’ throttle controls.   

There’s a bit more detail in this thread:  

Good luck, and I hope you’re back on the road ASAP.  

-Scott

Scott,

This is exactly what happened.  Replaced the 50 amp and the bike would barely start and idle, no response from throttle.  Found 7.5 amp fuse for throttle control blown.  Replaced it and all is working.  Only problem is the check engine light is still on.  Disconnected both battery terminals and reconnected but it did not clear.  I am guessing this is a history code an not an active problem since the bike appears to but running just fine.  How do I clear the check engine light??  

Edited by johnmark101

Also took the bike up the road and back and all seems fine but I am parking it until I am certain the check engine light is just a history code and not possibly an active issue.

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 - Yours is a new Tracer GT, right?   The early FJs have a provision for cleaning fault codes from the instrument’s menu structures, but I don’t think that is an option on the newer bikes.   

My guess is it triggered when the bike started with the ETV fuse blown...  the computer would have instantly recognized the dead throttle control, and tripped the check engine light.   If it were me, I would just go ride it and see if it resets on its own within 100 miles or so.  

• Thumbsup 1

50 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@johnmark101 - Yours is a new Tracer GT, right?   The early FJs have a provision for cleaning fault codes from the instrument’s menu structures, but I don’t think that is an option on the newer bikes.   

My guess is it triggered when the bike started with the ETV fuse blown...  the computer would have instantly recognized the dead throttle control, and tripped the check engine light.   If it were me, I would just go ride it and see if it resets on its own within 100 miles or so.  

I thought about doing so, but I am the overly cautious type.  Yet it seems the bike is fine....other than that stupid light being on which makes me paranoid.  Since there is a history of others doing this exact same thing it would be interesting to know how they took care of this.  Before replacing the fuses, the bike started once and would barely hold idle at about 800 rpm.  After that it would crank but not start on two subsequent tries.  As you mentioned it probably threw the code when it actually started on the first attempt.  

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

• 10 months later...

Had the same thing happen blew the main fuse and the ETV(throttle wire) fuse. I have the 2017 model so the code can't be erased. drove it for a 1000km with the engine light on no problems. Had the shop erase the code and it was the Throttle wire fuse it picked up and all was working as it should.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1