Finally got one! Epic first ride, thoughts, and review! (long post)

2 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Nice tale, pgeldz, nicely told.   The black-with-purble GT looks very tasty.   

I am tossing-up 'tween two new bikes, having just sold my 2015 Tracer, and here in Oz the only version available is the same as yours - I like it!   Except that in  a cheapskate move the Oz bikes have unpainted pannier lids, which IMHO cheapens the entire look.   I'm looking into SHAD SH36s...

PS - if I may, the GF also looks very nice - marry that gal!

The unpainted panniers on your version matches the front ABS plastic headlight surround, so to me it's not a big deal.  My Yamaha Accessory 39L top case is unpainted also, and it looks fine.  I'm gonna throw my race team sticker on the panniers in matching silver/blurple, and call it good (I own a race team).  A Graves Ti system will turn blueish purple as well in the header area and tie everything together.  I'm honestly not a fan of the blurple, but I'm embracing it!  Haha.

PS - about the GF, you may, and I might!  Haha!

:)

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

Thanks, pgeldz - I haven't yet seen a GT in the flesh - they are as rare as unicorns, as were the Gen I Tracers, and no dealers anywhere near me have one in stock.   Although one kind dealership did say that if I put down a deposit they'd get one in for me!   Mustavv thought I'd come down with the last shower!!   How on earth Yamaha expects to sell bikes under these circs baffles me!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Finally saw a Tracer 900 GT in the flesh after a 70km there (and 70km back) trip out to a dealer I was assured had one in stock.  He did!

The bike was the black variant with blurple wheel rims and a matching lightning flash on the tank.   I don't mind it at all, although it wouldn't be my first choice of the three colour options I've seen pix of.   But that alone wouldn't deter me from ownership, and in any case thus far it's the only colour option available here in Oz.

Anyone even vaguely familiar with a Gen 1 Tracer would have easily picked it out, for superficially very little has changed.

Close up, the extended rear swing-arm hides its extra length very well, while the new seats are much more attractive than the original torture implements.   The covers appear to be made of much more substantial textured material, with nice contrast stitching.  Sitting on it - though no substitute for riding of course - I was distinctly aware that the seat seemed very much firmer than the original.   It might be the solution...

'Bars are a bit cluttered to make way for the new cruise-control - err, controls - and some of the switch-gear seemed more substantial, while the hazard warning light switch is now on the lhs.   The new TFT display screen is smaller, neater, but the ungainly-looking device above it that allows one-handed on-the-bike movement of the screen looks a bit bulky.   Windscreen appeared to be more shapely.

Tyres are still Dunlop D222s, but to my eye the stipes on them appeared deeper and more 'aggressive' than I'd recalled.

Hard panniers are, regrettably, unpainted, unlike on other markets, a cheapskate effort on Yamaha's part IMHO.  The sales guy initially told me that the panniers were soft bags until I sent him to check.   Doh!

I quite like the new front-end treatment, noting that the two faux inlets on either side of the tank are still there, while the bug-trap honeycomb has gone: pity that, as I liked all the OE's interesting original surface treatments including the faux carbon inserts.   The paintwork finish seemed deeper and more lustrous than on earlier models too, compared to the anorexic paintwork previously found on early models.   I also liked the light silver paintwork on the two side fairings and two small horizontal panels further back - they visually lifted the whole plot.   The gloss painted front fender also added to the finished appeal.

A big let-down, however, was the quoted out-the-door price of around AUD$19,500 to $20,000.   Admittedly, that was the starting price before serious haggling, but it's at least AUD$4,500 to $5,000 more expensive than the original four years ago.   I recall paying AUD$15,3000 for my 2014 way back, and under $15,000 for a later model.  At those early prices, and given that hard panniers were included, the Gen 1 Tracers represented serious value for money (despite which they didn't sell!) but the new pricing, if the above is anything to go by, simply brings the GT back to the pack.

Would I buy one?

78_AF4_A04-8368-4872-9069-_D5_A903_A8_AE56.jpg

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.