Aux light Mounting bracket

I was looking for proprietary aux light mounting bars/ brackets to see how they fixed to the bike.

Objective being to identify an easy make, effective  and cheap DIY design.

Givi have a system which utilizes a hollow rod that runs across the nose of the bike as the main mounting. Ref LS2139.

Yamaha's own design appears to utilise holes in the metal work of the cockpit area as does another manufacturers offering.

One thing they all had in common was three point fastening of the bracket.

Wordsmith has created his aerofoil. 

Anybody else made one ?

The GT appears to have fewer easy-to-access mounting options for a DIY approach than Gen1 Tracers, IMHO.   I had to crawl all over my GT and lie on the ground underneath it before locating something suitable!   Even then, it was an exercise in working upside-down and 'blind' to secure it. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I fitted an led bar under the nose as I don’t like the look of the aux lights either side, also small bullet lights on the hand guards that are very discreet.

unfortunately this photo has the strip light switched off but you can see it and I can confirm it is very bright and effective.

Mike

2095408E-04C1-4D1B-AF48-196DE2CCD5F7.jpeg

Noice!   You have certainly achieved the 'higher the better' placement there!   I looked long and hard at mounting mine there, but couldn't come up with a mount that looked half-decent.   I suspect my LEDs are larger than yours...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I reckon that the design of the Givi LS2139 light mounting system lends itself to a DIY interpretation.

Givi helpfully make the fitting instructions available and there are even some sizes on components.

I intend to produce an interpretation in due course.

The lights end up mounted like this using the Givi LS2139.

givi-LS2139-spotlight-fitting.jpg

Edited by flyfifer
More info

Materials being collected.

20mm X 4mm flat bar for the two verticals.

8mm threaded rod for the upper cross piece ( as perGivi ). Probably use the same 8mm threaded bar through 8mm bore tube for the lower cross piece (Givi use flat bar with 90deg bends on the ends.

Bits of 20mmx2mm flat bar for the bent bits to attach the verticals to the Yamaha holes that Givi use.

Sundry nuts, washers and spacers.

£8 for the lot, I reckon , (excluding spray paint) v £45 from Givi.

Any chance of a pic of the finished installation please, flyfifer - purely for reference and comparison?   TIA...

Over the last couple of days I have taken off the Plastics from one side of the bike and made/ fitted the light mounting brackets.

I have pics and sizes of the made parts and will post those in due course.

Power supplies to sort out first as per the Aux power thread.

The fundamentals of the mounting system I have made.

48453641541_b022e347a7.jpg

I found that by taking the plastics off one side only I could get good access to that side, suss out what I was doing and was able to replicate on the other side without taking the plastics off.

The sketch is sketchy but the key sizes are there.

48453811852_1362d0d70f.jpg

Two bits of 20mm x 4mm x 235mm long, for the "legs". Each leg with three 8mm holes on the centre line.

One length of 8mm screwed rod 325mm long.

Two nylon (or similar) spacers 18mm long x 18mm dia, with an 8mm hole longitudinally.

Two bits of 25mm x 2mm , to make the two 90deg angle brackets. I drilled these 8mm but used 6mm screws to keep some wriggle room.

Two bits of nylon or similar 22mm dia x 60mm long with an 8mm central hole, to mount the lights on. Alternatively could put a 90 deg bend on the end of longer "legs" and mount the lights -- the round nylon makes it easier to adjust the light angle.

48453652936_a591ee7c4f.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today's observation.

If you are going to fit a Radiator Guard that uses the two radiator fixing bolts -- do it before you fit LED lights.

My brackets and lights were in the way when I fitted my Radiator Guard today. Not terminally just annoyingly !