Tucano Urbano neoprene muffs

• Premium Member
I love my Tucano Urbano R319 muffs used on my Super Tenere. They fit over the handguards of most bikes but the idiosyncratic design of the Tracer means the will not fit.

So, I saw some neoprene ones on Ebay, made by Tucano for the scooter market. Took a punt thinking they will fit inside the wind deflectors. And they do.

Points to note. They have a small slit cut in the neoprene to accommodate the brake lever. You need to make this bigger to accommodate the bulbous end of the Tracer levers. The muffs are quite a snug fit but the neoprene is flexible enough to operate the indicator and kill switches from inside. No different to using thick winter gloves really.
The part of the muff that slips over the bar end on the throttle side does need to be cut to reduce the friction it applies to the throttle. You need to fiddle with the torque applied to the bar end to ensure you don't make the throttle too stiff. Note, there is a slight resistance to the throttle action but not enough to worry me but you do need to think about closing the throttle, a bit like riding an old Moto Guzzi, as it may not close if you rely on the spring action. I'm used to this due to using a friction based throttle lock but it might put some people off.

Here's the label from the packaging:
mufflabel.jpg 
Some pictures of the muffs fitted:

2015-03-24%2018.52.54.jpg
2015-03-24%2018.53.05.jpg
2015-03-24%2018.53.16.jpg
2015-03-24%2018.53.35.jpg
2015-03-24%2018.53.49.jpg
2015-03-24%2018.53.59.jpg

and yes, I have them on upside down as apart from the writing they are symmetrical and I didn't notice the writing until after I had the first one all aligned. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Ah yes, hand condoms. Hope they keep you warm. eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
are these waterproof?
yes, made from neoprene 
I have since replaced my handguards with KTM and I'm now using their big brother the R319 - the neoprene ones keep you dry but not as good at heat insulation but adequate for a 10 mile commute, less so for a longer ride.

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/bar-muffs-r319-no-bar-end-weights.html

2015-11-13%2015.27.37.jpg

These are the holy grail of muffs - used on my Super Tenere and R1150GS and combined with heated grips for winter toastiness. Great to have warm dry hands when commuting or on a longer ride. A friend used these on his R1150GS in a Norwegian winter.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You need one of these @wessie  

Of course I do. The MP3 rider might get a bit envious and have to raise the game for having the weirdest contraption in the office bike bays

Archived