Checking in from Indy

usnscpo

Hello all.  I'm Chris.  Been doing some interweb research on a bike purchase sometime after December.  Coming from an FZR600, with about a 12 year break.  Way too old to fold myself up on a sport bike, but really enjoyed the "connected" quick response of that old fizzer and hope to capture a measure of that with my next purchase and also facilitate comfortable riding with my spouse.  I've narrowed by choices to either an FJ09 or an FJR.  Maybe a Connie or Versys, but probably not.  I had the fortunate luck to run into an FJR that the owner let me take a quick ride on.  Wonderful bike, but feels quite a bit heavier.  I wonder if there is anyone out there in central Indy who might be willing to oblige me a brief ride on their FJ09?  I hope to find the FJ09 much lighter feeling.

Cheers everyone!

Edited by usnscpo
typo
  • Thumbsup 1

I came off heavier bikes (Multistrada) to the Tracer and love the lighter weight and the bike does not feel like iit is getting away from me when I am maneuvering it at the gas station or in the garage.

I think the FJR would be the choice if you do a lot of two up riding, but if you want the sportiness of the FZR600, then you will not go wrong with the FJ09/Tracer.

Sorry I am not in Indy!

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, usnscpo said:

I've narrowed by choices to either an FJ09 or an FJR.  Maybe a Connie or Versys, but probably not.  I had the fortunate luck to run into an FJR that the owner let me take a quick ride on.  Wonderful bike, but feels quite a bit heavier.  I wonder if there is anyone out there in central Indy who might be willing to oblige me a brief ride on their FJ09?  I hope to find the FJ09 much lighter feeling.

I have ridden all 4 bikes mentioned and find that they all have their merits but the FJ and Versys are the closest for a direct comparison. 

The FJR and Concourse are MUCH heavier bikes and the FJR feels much sportier than the C14 but I have riding buddies who have each and when they ride you would swear they were riding sport bikes!!  Those bikes MOVE!!!

Don't dismiss the Versys if you haven't ridden one yet, very smooth and comfortable and possibly more comfortable for a passenger since there is a bit more room.  Test ride them back to back if possible.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

FJR riding position would be closer to the FZR. The FJ is more like a super moto or dual sport riding position. The wide bars make the bike feel lighter. The FJ only weighs about 10% more than the FZR. It's a very different feeling bike than the FJR. FJR feels like a heavy, high effort sportbike. The FJ feels like a heavy, moderate effort super moto. 

• Thumbsup 1

It all depends...

I just sold a 2010 C14 Concours before I bought my 2015 FJ-09 and liked it for long distance travel but it was WAY too heavy and not a great handling bike in the twisties around my area (motorcycle mecca of east TN).

I also had a 2005 FJR and liked it a lot but still like my FJ-09 better than the C14 or the FJR for the type of riding I do.  I rode it home from Sarasota, FL and it did great on the interstate as well.  About to do another 4-5 day trip and it will be fine for interstate riding and some nice twisty roads in Arkansas.

• Supporting Member
On 10/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, usnscpo said:

I had the fortunate luck to run into an FJR that the owner let me take a quick ride on.  Wonderful bike, but feels quite a bit heavier...  I hope to find the FJ09 much lighter feeling.

Yes, the FJ is almost 200# lighter, more agile with quicker steering.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just bought a 2015 red FJ.  Appears to be in great shape, 24K miles.  Wow, that front fork harshness is pretty intense.  Hopefully I can get "Forks by Matt" to do his magic.  Aside from the forks, I'm liking this bike.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Chris