Low seat

Torquil

Just joined this forum. Straight off...I have a problem with the seat height and looking to fit a low seat from somewhere. I’ve looked through some of the topics on low seats but not sure what has actually worked. I’m 5’7”  and 28 inside leg so I struggle at times and it doesn’t help my confidence. Has anyone out there found a lower seat that is lower than the yamaha original seat and actually works. Any replies would be most welcome. 

• Supporting Member

Hi Torquil, I know you're asking about a low seat but have you considered lowering links (dog bones) instead of, or even with, a lower seat to get the bike a bit lower to the ground?

Picture below shows the original links at the bottom and lowering links at the top. These are for my 2015 Tracer.  Doesn't look like much but they do make a reasonable difference.

Welcome to the forum BTW.  There are many members here that have a ton of knowledge.  You've come to the right place. 🙂

338513029_dogbones.thumb.jpg.49a596dac2da08d935ea74ffd4072d2e.jpg

Hi Dodgy Knees,

yes, unfortunately the seat is in the low position. It’s not the end of the world but if I got the seat lower then it would be a big difference. I sat on 2 bmw bikes yesterday , one with a normal seat and the other on a low seat and the difference was very noticeable. I’ll wait and see if anyone comes up with a low seat Option but I’ve a feeling there’s not much out there. From what I’ve picked up, the yamaha low seat is no different from the original one so no point in getting that one. Apart from that, the bike itself is cracking. 

1 hour ago, Torquil said:

Sounds the way to go Dodgy Knees. Just have to enjoy it the way it is. It’s a great bike and I love getting out round the countryside on the west coast of Scotland. Brilliant. 

Was up there in may, hot and sunny.  Superb. 👍

Lowering links probably the best and cheapest  way to go I've seen some reasonably priced ones on E-bay. Only issue is it makes it a bit more difficult to lift bike on to the centre stand and can change the angle the bike sits at on the side stand unless you modify the stands. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Lowering links probably the best and cheapest  way to go I've seen some reasonably priced ones on E-bay. Only issue is it makes it a bit more difficult to lift bike on to the centre stand and can change the angle the bike sits at on the side stand unless you modify the stands. 

I had the lowering links in for some time and yes, did find that it was a little more difficult to put on the centre stand but not a big deal though.  As far as the sidestand is concerned there were many who felt that they needed to modify it but my experience was that it was fine.  I even added a 'foot' to the end and never felt that the bike was ever in danger of tipping over on even ground.  Conversely, when putting the bike back to standard height my first impression was that the bike now leaned too far on the sidestand!  Horses for courses and it depends what you get used to I guess.  As always...YMMV.

18 hours ago, Torquil said:

Just joined this forum. Straight off...I have a problem with the seat height and looking to fit a low seat from somewhere. I’ve looked through some of the topics on low seats but not sure what has actually worked. I’m 5’7”  and 28 inside leg so I struggle at times and it doesn’t help my confidence. Has anyone out there found a lower seat that is lower than the yamaha original seat and actually works. Any replies would be most welcome. 

I can't comment on suggesting a way to lower it...but I hear ya on the struggles. (5'4", 115lbs with the 27" inseam).  I'm on my very tip toes on both feet, or slide to one side to get one foot down on the ball of the foot. I've gained confidence with seat time since getting my FJ in March. To practice moving off the seat, I rolled the bike onto a wheel chock and worked on sliding side to side. "Greasing" the seat with a polish for body work helps prevent a little of that friction, allowing quicker movement.

But...Cheap/easy solution would be the lowering links as suggested. You could always remove it if you're feeling more steady.

Test drove stock GT, seat in the lower position, with my 28" inseam.  When I bought the Tracer I had the Yamaha lowering links installed as part of the sale for free.  This lowered the seat height 19mm.  This was adequate to give me some confidence level.  The narrow seat helps me in landing the bike.  This bike is also 100 lbs. lighter than my Triumph 1050 Sprint GT.

On 11/21/2019 at 3:28 AM, Torquil said:

Looks like a good or only option then as I don’t think I can get a lower seat. I will practice your sliding technique as well. Cheers

I believe the sargent seat is lower but it's not by much. I recommend lowering links if it ms important. Otherwise learn to use 1 leg at a stop.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA