Spray painting header pipes

Clicknow

Hi thinking of spraying my header pipes Matt black on my GT with a VHT paint and was wondering what people's throughts were doing this good or bad and any experiences you may have.

kind regards graham 

why?  that would chip and look like crap in a short period of time. Do you not remember the way headers used to come in a black paint and aluminum/stainless can?  most of the time the black changed color to a beige in spots from the heat.

I love the stock headers when clean.  they clean up so well with a dish scrub pad and some cleaner.

but each to their own, they would look good for the first little while then probably start to look crappy...IMO

• Supporting Member

I don't think painting the headers will work out very well. You will have much better results if you have them ceramic coated.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

+1 for ceramic coating.  I have had a previous bike's headers ceramic coated and it was very durable.

Obviously the VHT and other high heat paints were made for just this purpose, I just don't think it will be as as durable since the header is exposed to the elements and rock chips, you may have to touch it up once or twice a year.

As with any painting project, surface prep will be crucial.  Share photos when you are finished.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yep would use ceramic paint and prep would be good have been thinking of maybe a gold colour as well, IMO would look better than the stainless steel and easyer to keep clean but not sure how the pipes would wear over time, thanks for your thoughts 

regards Graham