Question about 2019 Tracer 900 selling price

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and i'm looking to buy a 2019 tracer 900 in the next week. I noticed that the 2019's are selling New on cycle trader for $7000-$7500. I'm not trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they are selling $3,500 under sticker? Are there some known issues with that year or is it just because it's last years model? Any input would be appreciated. I have been looking for a bike with similar performance to a sport bike but that would be good for 250-300 mile days with lots of twisties and I feel like this bike fits the bill.

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, gnr4all said:

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and i'm looking to buy a 2019 tracer 900 in the next week. I noticed that the 2019's are selling New on cycle trader for $7000-$7500. I'm not trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they are selling $3,500 under sticker? Are there some known issues with that year or is it just because it's last years model? Any input would be appreciated. I have been looking for a bike with similar performance to a sport bike but that would be good for 250-300 mile days with lots of twisties and I feel like this bike fits the bill.

I don't know for sure but I believe its because it was released along side the "premium" GT model and got overshadowed.  The FJ/FZ/MT/XSR/Tracer and GT share the same engine and frame and no known issues that haven't been addressed with warranty or service bulletins.  At least in North America, the base level Tracer was only available as a 2019 model, they skipped 2018 altogether and no longer offer it for 2020.     

$7500 is a great price and you could upgrade it to your preference with quick shifter, suspension, heated grips, aftermarket cruise control and side bags etc.(except the TFT display) and still be cheaper than buying a GT at full price.

Don't let the upright riding position fool you, this bike can be as sporty as you want it to be while at the same time be comfortable enough for a week-long road trip.  Every magazine review you have read is correct, the motor is the star of the show and the suspension can be brought up to par to match the motor.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write that response! That's what I suspected it but I just wanted to be sure because it seems like such a great deal. I just had one other question, I've read in some places that said the brakes weren't that great. From your experience are the brakes okay and just not great or is it something I need to look to upgrade somehow?

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, gnr4all said:

I have been looking for a bike with similar performance to a sport bike but that would be good for 250-300 mile days with lots of twisties and I feel like this bike fits the bill.

Indeed it does fit the bill.   Oh, and welcome to the forum!

@betoney is spot on:   The big demand is for the ‘premium’ GT model, so the base Tracer seems to be largely overlooked by prospective buyers.   Combine that with being a prior model year, and you get the occasional killer deal you’re describing.  If you’re willing to reinvest some of that purchase savings back into the bike, you can personalize it to be exactly what you’re looking for.  Premium suspension isn’t cheap, but I still feel it’s the best investment you can make on one of these bikes, especially if your interests lean more to the sporting side.    

Good luck with your purchase... it’s a fantastic motorcycle.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, gnr4all said:

From your experience are the brakes okay and just not great or is it something I need to look to upgrade somehow?

I feel like the hook is set now...  :)  

@betoney and I (plus several others) have made the big brake upgrade to 320mm rotors sourced from the R1.   Along with HH pads, and ideally steel brake lines, that moves the brakes from just ok to very very good.   

Fair warning:  Once you start tinkering with one of these FJ/Tracers, it’s hard to know when to quit... 

• Haha 1

Others have said that the stock pads on the 2019 Tracer 900 were not that great. I agreed and just bought the HH pads and installed them. $70 for the front pair. Grab is excellent now. I also got a left over new 2019 for $7600. Fantastic bike. You won't regret it.

Edited by KillEmAll4u
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Careful, make sure you get all the details on costs, including shipping if necessary. I tried buying my Tracer online first, but when I added up all the added costs not shown in the ad, it was cheaper to buy locally.